Barry O is a big puzzle ( smile). Some people just can't figure him out. He's a
mystery.

CB
^^^^^

Barack Obama: What's the big idea?
16 months and 26 debates later he remains a puzzle to many voters

Malcolm Gladwell: Who says big ideas are rare?

The Talk of the Town
By Dorothy Wickenden

updated 8:57 a.m. ET, Mon., June. 23, 2008
On October 7, 2002, in Cincinnati, Ohio, George W. Bush delivered the defining
speech of his Presidency. In the face of “clear evidence of peril” from a
regime harboring terrorists and weapons of mass destruction, he declared, “we
cannot wait for the final proof—the smoking gun—that could come in the form of
a mushroom cloud.”

Five days earlier, a forty-one-year-old Illinois state legislator had given a
momentous speech of his own, although few recognized it as such at the time. “I
don’t oppose all wars,” Barack Obama told a few hundred Chicago protesters,
adding:

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a U.S. occupation
of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I
know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong
international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and
encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and
strengthen the recruitment arm of Al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I’m
opposed to dumb wars.

After the attacks of September 11, 2001, Bush discovered a big idea for his
Presidency. He would bring down a tyrant, crush terrorism, and impose democracy
and peace on what his regent, Vice-President Dick Cheney, called
“freedom-loving peoples of the region.” As the world now knows, that idea was
based on faulty intelligence reports and executed with a fatal disregard of
political reality in the Middle East and at home. By the time of the 2008
Presidential campaign, Bush’s approval rating had shrunk from sixty-seven per
cent to thirty-seven per cent, the Republican Party was coming apart, and
Obama’s 2002 speech had proved a precondition for an astounding climb to
victory this month as the Democratic Party’s presumptive nominee for President.

Still, sixteen months after announcing his candidacy, and after twenty-six
Presidential debates and thousands of public-speaking engagements, Obama
remains a puzzle to many voters. Almost as dedicated a policy wonk as Hillary
Clinton and arguably more centrist in his economic beliefs, he offers plenty of
specifics about what needs to be done. But his captivating eloquence and his
slogan—“Change We Can Believe In”—have seemed to lift him dangerously high
above the concrete. He has proved his steadiness of purpose without clearly
defining his priorities. What, above all, does he intend to accomplish if he is
elected President?

Obama is said to have been dissatisfied with the slogan. If so, he has a point.
The “change” he advocates can be understood as a pragmatic correction to the
radical policies and the ineptitude of the Bush brigade. His political
departure is a kind of return. He has written two unusually revealing books—one
describing how he came to be who he is, the other delineating how he proposes
to reclaim the qualities that once made America so admired. He argues that the
United States must relearn the fundamental lessons of the Declaration of
Independence, the Constitution, and its own long journey toward a more perfect
union, and then apply them to the global upheavals of the twenty-first century.

In his books, Obama emerges not as the personification of cool projected onto
him by his young adherents—or as the disdainful élitist suggested by his
offhand remark about a “bitter” working class—but as something of a square:
someone who doesn’t have to strain to talk about “values,” God, and family. His
eerily objective self-analysis is matched by his lawyerly ability to see things
from the perspective of those on the other side. In January, after Obama
uttered a few words of praise for Ronald Reagan in an interview with newspaper
editors, Hillary Clinton and John Edwards rushed to condemn his apostasy. But
he meant what he said. In 2006, in “The Audacity of Hope,” he had written,
“Reagan spoke to America’s longing for order, our need to believe that we are
not simply subject to blind, impersonal forces but that we can shape our
individual and collective destinies, so long as we rediscover the traditional
virtues of hard work, patriotism, personal responsibility, optimism, and faith.”

The general consistency of Obama’s policy views—with an occasional bald
deviation, as on the public funding of his campaign—is a contrast to John
McCain’s erratic shape-shifting. McCain opposed the Bush tax cuts as skewed
toward the rich, and unsustainable; now he wants to extend them forever. He
co-sponsored a relatively humane immigration bill; now he disowns it. He
deplored the torture of detainees at Guantánamo; now he attacks the Supreme
Court’s decision granting them the constitutional right to challenge in federal
court their continued detention as “one of the worst decisions in the history
of this country.”

Over the years, Obama has carefully calibrated his political message, and he
has won a grudging respect among some conservatives. In The New Republic, Bruce
Bartlett, a Treasury official in the Reagan and Bush père Administrations,
writes that “Obamacons”—libertarians, disillusioned neoconservatives, even a
few supply-siders—have been pushed “into Obama’s arms.” In The American
Conservative, Andrew J. Bacevich, a professor of international relations and
history at Boston University, complains, “To believe that President John McCain
will reduce the scope and intrusiveness of federal authority, cut the imperial
presidency down to size, and put the government on a pay-as-you-go basis is to
succumb to a great delusion.”

Obama promises to tell voters what they need to know and not what they want to
know. It’s a risky strategy, and one he doesn’t always follow, but when he put
it into effect in April, by attacking McCain’s proposed summer gasoline-tax
holiday, he helped his campaign more than he hurt it. Last week, he denounced
McCain’s latest reversal, on offshore drilling. But he needs to go further. A
year ago, he likened “the tyranny of oil” to that of Fascism and Communism,
saying, “The very resource that has fueled our way of life over the last
hundred years now threatens to destroy it if our generation does not act now
and act boldly.” This is the kind of unequivocal message that Obama needs to
develop. By telling just such inconvenient truths, Al Gore has inspired a
worldwide movement to arrest climate change. The next President could be its
most powerful leader. Obama will not rouse voters by getting lost in a tussle
with McCain over the virtues of cellulosic ethanol. He can, however, make
voters part of the solution by helping them understand that the greedy oil
companies, the failing auto industry, and the craven Congress will not redeem
themselves until consumers demand that they do so by making some inconvenient
changes of their own. A little more audacity will yield a lot more hope.

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com