How about the question of "philosophy" is the relationship between
thought and being ?

>>> "Charles Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/11/2008 2:53 PM

ON THE 'ANALYTIC-CONTINENTAL' DIVIDE IN PHILOSOPHY:
NIETZSCHE AND HEIDEGGER ON TRUTH, LIES, AND LANGUAGE

The Question of Philosophy.

It is the difference in the reply that can be made to the question,
"What is philosophy?' that constitutes the difference - and the divide
-
between analytic and continental styles of thinking. For analytic
purposes, philosophy may be defined as, Michael Dummet defines it in
the
Origins of Analytic Philosophy, [1] in terms of 'the belief, first,
that
a philosophical account of thought can be attained through a
philosophical account of language, and, secondly, that a comprehensive
account can only be so attained. [2]  Like Dummett, Martin Heidegger
too
will define philosophy in terms of thought and of language, although
conceiving both conceptions as intrinsically elusive rather than
clearly
available. In What is Called Thinking, Heidegger reflects on the
nature
of thinking but declares, and repeatedly declares: 'Most
thought-provoking is that we are still not thinking." And, as
Heidegger
admits, the claim that we are 'still not thinking" seems annoyingly
erroneous: 'how dare anyone assert today that we are still not
thinking,
today when there is everywhere a lively and constantly more audible
interest in philosophy, when almost everybody claims to know what
philosophy is all about! [3]

^^^^^^^
CB: Did Heidegger claim that he was thinking ?

How does he know all this about thinking that we don't know ?

^^^^^

For Heidegger just as for Dummett, philosophy is a matter of thinking,
the difference is that for Heidegger, as also for Nietzsche, one
cannot
simply give an account of thinking: not only must we ask what thinking
is, we have first to learn to think, which for Heidegger means we have
to learn to listen, and he will even claim, learn to learn - and to
let
learn.[4] In reference to language too, [5]  Heidegger is careful to
remind us of the inherent ambiguity of what "plays with our speech
[6]
as language does: 'we are moving on shifting ground, or, still better,
on the billowing waters of an ocean. [7] "Words," for Heidegger, "are
not terms, and thus are not like buckets and kegs from which we scoop
content that is not there. Words are wellsprings that must be found
and
dug up again and again, that easily cave in, but that at times also
well
up when least expected. {8} Thus Heidegger can explain that "Thinking
clears its way only by its own questioning advance. But this clearing
of
the way is curious. The way that is cleared does not remain behind,
but
is built into the next step, and is projected forward from it.[9]
Where
Dummett advances propositio

>>> Ralph Dumain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/11/2008 11:24 AM

... or, analytical philosophy's being-for-death.

I thought I would die laughing reading this essay, as it gives the
whole game away:

ON THE 'ANALYTIC-CONTINENTAL' DIVIDE IN PHILOSOPHY:
NIETZSCHE AND HEIDEGGER ON TRUTH, LIES, AND LANGUAGE
Dr. Babette E.  Babich
http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/babich02.htm

Her book Nietzsche's Philosophy of Science was abominable, but this
essay is paradoxically brilliant. She deftly exposes not only the key
weaknesses of analytical philosophy but its duplicitous colonization
of the continent. Leiter is of course a key colonizer.  It's quite
masterful.  But then look at the alternative in the embrace of
Nietzsche and Heidegger. I am so right about all of these people, so,
so on target. Babich's intervention then is a counter-imperialist
venture to accomplish just the opposite, sort of like fascist Japan's
Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Here's another book of note:

Glazebrook, Trish. Heidegger's Philosophy of Science. New York:
Fordham University Press, 2000.
<http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0625/00025802-d.html>Publisher

description.

And see the links at:

Heidegger and Science
http://beyng.com/hlinks/hscience.html

The depth of all of this rottenness is so thrilling, it's better than
The Sopranos.

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com