Sidney Hook played a leading role, as a Marxist in the 1930s.  Then
he played a leading anti-communist role.

John Dewey was no Marxist, but he played a leading role as a progressive.

See this partial list of philosophers victimized by McCarthyism:

<http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/philo-mccarthy.html>The Honor
Roll: American Philosophers Professionally Injured During the
McCarthy Era by John McCumber

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by leading role.  C. Wright
Mills played a leading intellectual role in the '50s, but he wasn't
organizationally connected to a movement as far as I can recall.