Charles,

I don't know whether the KKK lynched anybody in 1916, but not only
wasn't that the question, but an accurate answer to it doesn't enter
into what we were discussing...which was Harry Truman's 1922
membership in the KKK.

In that context, the point of your eagerness to begin "using the KKK
generically" is lost on me.

ML

^^
Mark,

I looked over the thread before I posted last, and there was no one "question".
There were several questions , and I am free to introduce new questions, as you
know.  The thread is "Blacks and the New Deal". So , obviously, the topic is
not just whether Harry Truman was in the KKK in 1922.

As to generic use of "KKK" , think about it for about a nano-second , and
you'll get it I'm sure.

 However, I appreciate your specialized historical knowledge of the KKK , and
your teaching me that there was a two phased history to the KKK.

I do think that the Dixicrats who left the DP in 1948 likely represented the
Jim Crow views of the KKK , official and knockoff.

As to Harry Truman, by 1948  he was a major player in doing unKlanly stuff,
like writing an  Executive Order integrating the armed forces.

Tell us when your new book is finished.

Charles

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com