I think those two words 'communism' and 'welfare' will scare some
people away. However, I think if Americans could see how much freer
they would be if they had guaranteed access to health care, retirement
and income (such as a guaranteed income when unemployed, a living
minimum wage etc.), they would embrace any party and politicians who
wanted to work to get these. However, the idiotic popular culture,
issues and lifestyle politics (as taken up by the two-party political
monopoly), and militaristic nationalism are used very effectively to
distract the majority working class from what the potential is. Add a
non-parliamentary strong executive government system with a very
big-money two party monopoly (addicted to militarism) on politics, and
you see a mission that seems impossible.

CJ