>> Indeed, the way that Marxism-Leninism was institutionalized and  taught,
it was turned into this sort of vacuous metaphysical position that can  be
arbitrarily mapped onto any given phenomenon.  This, however, was not  Marx's
practice.  And Engels, while writing some confused passages on the  dialectic,
did
not nevertheless set his musings on dialectics of nature in  stone, though
Marxism was soon frozen into a system. Lenin too, though in part  guilty for
establishing these regrettable precedents, was also cautious in  deploying
dialectical notions to nature in a detailed, positive fashion; rather,  he was
engaged in critique of positivism, as was Engels engaged in critique of  the
bad
philosophy of his time. Most of Soviet philosophy, to the extent that it  was
useful, was in critique of bourgeois philosophy; positively, it contributed
thematically to psychology, but the myriad textbooks of diamat mandated for
widespread instruction did a great deal of harm. <<

Seems to me we are on the same page, same paragraph and same sentence. I am
not sure if there was a different way to try and teach Marx approach in 1930s
Soviet Union - 1939. A Textbook of Marxist Philosophy (1939) is extremely
political and contains a number of historical limitations. Yet, it introduced
millions to Marx method. The result was dogmatism. Dogmatism or a lack of
"creativity" is pretty much the inevitable consequence of trying to teach
science
- any science, to a mass of more than less illiterate folks. The Soviets
face this really tough task. With assimilation of more knowledge one does not
have to remain dogmatic.

The harm of "Textbook" in the hands of anyone today is taking this
exposition to be the final word on method.

The Hegelian form of dialectics  - as I understand things, and  Engels
exposition based on this form, is old hat. But, Engels desire was to  teach the
workers and create the legacy of Marx.

I of course claim no new form of presentation, although every time I hear
"quantity becomes quality" or "quantitative changes" lead to "qualitative
changes", as an explanation for anything, I now-a-days, cringe.

There are some pretty complex problems concerning the "principles" of
Marxism and Marxism-Leninism. The tendency to make "struggle" absolute and
rising
and falling as dominating in the formula "unity and struggle of  opposites;"
and then . . . THEN, make "unity" conditional or to conceive  "struggle" as
flow
and "unity" as "stability" or relative is fraught with  controversy. And
contrary to modes of "non-European" thinking and  conceptualization, where a
political and social environment demanding  conformity, approaches "unity"
different.

I agree that exploration of the properties of emergence - raised to a  level
of generalizations, is useful and in urgent need. This will in turn  create
its own problems.

I have convinced myself a long time ago that all philosophy is by  definition
a form of insanity; an extreme breach between knowing and doing or
alienation. Who but an insane man, horribly alienated from nature, can
conceive the
impossible like, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is  there, does it
create a sound?"

"I think therefore I am."

What insanity.

WL.