Completely unrelated to the Martin Luther King holiday and the Second Coming of
Barack Obama, I have been immersed in black intellectual history for the past
few days. I've learned some things about the early history of academic
African-American philosophy as well as the history of "street scholars" I
didn't know before.

But now about Africa. I just came across some more information about Anton
Wilhelm Amo, a Ghanaian who became a German philosopher in the 18th century.
You can find the basic information in the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Wilhelm_Amo

And Amo has been mentioned in several histories of African and general
philosophy. Here's some more stuff of interest:

Bemile, Sebastian K. "Anton Wilhelm Amo, From a Ghanaian Slave-Child to a
German Professor and Philosopher”. September 2002. 16 pp.
http://www.afrst.uiuc.edu/events/archive/objects/pdfs/sem-bemile-2002.pdf

McClendon, John H. "Introduction to Drs. Anton Wilhelm Amo and Charles Leander
Hill," APA Newsletter on Philosophy and the Black Experience, vol. 2. no. 2,
Spring 2003, pp. 42-44.
http://www.apaonline.org/documents/publications/v02n2_BlackExperience.pdf

Hill, Charles Leander. "William Ladd, the Black Philosopher from Guinea: A
Critical Analysis of His
Dissertation on Apathy," APA Newsletter on Philosophy and the Black Experience,
vol. 2. no. 2, Spring 2003, pp. 44-50.
http://www.apaonline.org/documents/publications/v02n2_BlackExperience.pdf

Heckmann, Hannelore. "Anton Wilhelm Amo (ca. 1707 - ca. 1756): On the Reception
of a Black Philosopher," Lessing Yearbook XXIII, 1991, pp. 149-158.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8nGnmxwEQuYC&pg=PA149&dq=anton+wilhelm+amo&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=0_0