[lbo-talk] Butler
Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Jun 6 08:17:23 PDT 2008

Search LBO-Talk Archives

Sort by:  Date Rank Author Subject Reverse Sort

Next, Chris in the discussion below, Chris should have asked as to whether a
generalized, non-specifically hetero-sexual urge or instinct might be preserved
genetically by a recessive gene process, like many other recessive gene traits.

Seems to me "prima facie" , the answer to this "question" is "yes". Have to
think it out a bit more.

Charles

^^^^

Chris Doss

I have never read Butler, but intuitively a specifically heterosexual urge is
not needed for procreation; all you need is for the sexual "urge," if you want
to call it that, to result in at least some amount of heterosexual sexual
activity.

^^^ CB: I sort of agree with you. I hear ya. I have had this thought. But
here's what I usually think next.

OK. We are talking about biology and a trait that was selected for way back
when. So, take two individuals. Make them females so as to get rid of the
confusion about the notion of heterosexual urge being some kind of male
supremacist thingy. They are primates from a species ancestral to ours or even
old mammals. One has a specifically heterosexual urge, built in biologically,
in her genes. The other has a generalized sexual urge like you explain, also in
her genes. She just wants to have sex , hetero, homo, or just with another
creature or masturbate. Seems to me that the first female is much more likely
to get pregnant. The other non-heterosexual activities would distract the one
from the critical - from a selection standpoint - type of sex. There will be
differential fertility between them, and the one with the specifically
heterosexual urge will be selected for.

Differential fertility is the key thing in giving adaptive advantage. That's
the finding of the latest evolutionary biological theory. A difference in
fertility as would arise between the two hypothetical beings above would cause
the female with the heterosexual urge to be selected for and the one with the
generalized sexual urge to be selected against.

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com