Voyou

This was Rousseau's argument in "Essay on the Origin of Language," but I'm not
sure it's true. If I understand you right, you are arguing that the sexual
instinct is fundamentally social because the instinctive sexual urge requires
other human beings to satisfy it. But humans always acquire the means to
satisfy our hunger or thirst through social production, that is, hunger and
thirst require others for their satisfaction too; so wouldn't these instincts
be just as social?

^^^ CB: Sex is unmediatedly or immediately , i.e. directly social, in the
bodily sense. The satisfaction of thirst or hunger is mediatedly , not
directly, social . And the social relations in social production are the means
not the end. In sex , the social relation _is_ the end or purpose, not the
means. In social production, the human producers relate socially as a means to
the purpose of making some object to satisfy thirst or hunger, put an object in
or on a body. In sex, the two people put their bodies on each other, and that
itself is _social_, Sex is doubly social. It is unlike putting an object on or
in a body. It is socially/symbolically putting a body on a body, body on body
being a second level of sociality, a natural sociality.

Human Sex _is_ a symbolically constituted practice. I am saying that all along.
Most discussing don't notice that I am saying human sex is partly symbolically
constituted, like all human activity. I have two degrees in ethnology or
cultural anthropology , "for chrsts sake". Butler and you all are getting that
from our discipline. Butler's main insight she gets from cultural anthropology.
I understood the principle she is standing on way back in 1972, because it was
the main thing Marshall Sahlins taught us in my senior ethnology theory seminar
( year long) The pervasiveness of the symbolic, of culture, in determining
human conduct and affairs. But I am saying that uniquely of all cultural
domains, human sex has a heavy signified determination. Compared to most
cultural domains the influence of the signified is much greater and more equal
to the influence of the signifier, the representer,

I think Marx makes this point somewhere in the 1844 Manuscripts, but I can't
find the exact reference right now

^^^ CB: Yes, 1844 manuscript. I thought I just sent to the list the quote from
the 1844 Econ and Philos Manuscript on this. I got the idea of what I am saying
here from Marx right there. My translation of the quote from Marx ( which I
will send to list again)as follows: Sex is a unique combination of the social
and natural, in which the natural has more of an equal role with the cultural
than in most human endeavors.

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com