But Lenin wrote (in State and Revolution)  that the withering away of
the state begins at the very instance  when the proletariat ("the armed
working class") takes  power.  The Commune-state is "a state of a  new
type."   The soviet state, alas, though not "strangled at  birth" by the
Wilsons and Churchills was subjected to grave injuries  that led to  its
violent death at the hands of the Stalinist   counterrevolution in the
years 1935-1939.

Shane  Mage

Comment

"Why do we don these absurd things? The reason is clear: firstly,  because
ours is a backward country; secondly, education in our country is at the
lowest
level; and thirdly., because we are receiving no assistance. Not a single
civilized state is helping us. On the contrary. they are all working against
us.
 Fourthly, owing to our state apparatus. We took over the old state
apparatus,  and this was unfortunate for us. Very often the state apparatus
worker
against  us. In 1917, after we captured power, the situation was that the
apparatus  sabotaged us. This frightened us very much and we pleaded with the
state
officials: "Please come back." They all came back, but this was unfortunate for
 us." (Lenin).

Here is the genesis of the historically specific problem Lenin grappled  with
. . . in his words.

"Very often the state apparatus worker against us."

Why and how is the subject of volumes of writing.

WL.
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)