6. Cultural nuances/end

Barack Obama is/as a black man, keenly aware of the color factor in  American
and world history and sensitive to the nuances of culture. I own and  have
read his autobiography "Dreams From My Father," written in 1995 at the age  of
33 at the same time of purchasing and reading Sidney Poitier "Measure of A
Man."

Mr. Poitier introduced the #16 quotes of the "100 Years  . . . .100  Movie
Quotes" in the movie "In The Heat of The Night," where he plays the role  of a
Northern Black detective sent South to unravel a murder. His famous line  was:

"They call me Mister Tibbs."

Both of these men, proud, determined and elegant in their own right and
individuality, manifest the story of the American melting pot, as America’s
little discussed and little understood "black underbelly."

In 1963, Poitier became the first black man to win a USA Academy Award for
"Best Actor," and of course Obama is the first black man to become President.
Neither are Negro, but most certainly black, in the same way that a second and
 third generation English man or German immigrant lives the metamorphosis in
America, that is the American melting pot and emerges as Anglo American. The
same can be said of say Minister Louis Farrakhan, Marcus Garvey and even WEB
Du  Bois.

Let’s isolate Minister Louis for a moment to examine how the American story
has played itself out and unravel a quantifying of American history and
individuals that seem to defies logic. Farrakhan was born in New York, Bronx,
and
raised as Eugene Walcott within the West Indian community in the Roxbury
section of Boston Massachusetts. His mother, Sarah Mae Manning, had emigrated
from Saint Kitts and Nevis in the 1920’s; his father, Percival Clarke, was a
Jamaican cab driver from New York.

As a child, he received training as a violinist. At the age of six, he was
given his first violin and by the age of thirteen, he had played with the
Boston  College Orchestra and the Boston Civic Symphony. A year later, he went
on
to win  national competitions, and was one of the first black performers to
appear on  Ted Mack Original Amateur Hour, where he also - naturally, won an
award. A  central focus of his youth was the Episcopal St. Cyprian's Church in
Boston's  Roxbury section, a part of Boston which also produced the great
Leonard
 Bernstein.

All of these men, noble and elegant in their own right and historical
experience, manifest the striving and realization of the American Dream, to one

degree or another, rather than the plight and circumstance of the Negro;
meaning
those people emerging from the melting pot of slavery and then formed under
90  years of structural Jim Crow.  All these men are African American but that
tell one virtually nothing, in the same way that whites as Anglo American
informs one of next to nothing. Basically, Anglo American and African American
means Americans with "white" and "black" skin, when in fact the individual has
a  real history.

The experience of Jim Crow + white chauvinism, NOT Southern slavery + Jim
Crow + white chauvinism, also shaped and impacted all of these men, but their
experience mirrors, that of the European immigrant, to a vast degree, including
 Malcolm X. Malcolm’s mother Louise Little was born in Grenada, with Malcolm
stating, "she looked like a white woman," because of her Scottish father.

Interesting yes?

Barack Obama wonderful book, "Dreams from My Father," is the immigrant
story, a black immigrant, rather than the history of the Negro People, and his
acute awareness of this living history accounts for his unique and individual
ability to cross the color line. When Obama writes, "My identity might begin
with the fact of my race, but it didn’t, couldn’t, end there," what is meant is
 that my identity is not defined on the basis of the color factor in American
 history.

The words of Obama reveals why no self respecting Marxist, born and reared
as part of the "baby boomers," can deploy the concept race, other than the
petty  bourgeois intellectuals unable to fully digest dialectics without
opportunist  sauce. The very concept of race is an ideological trap designed to
obscure
not  just classes and class intersection, but prevents disclosing that, which
is  specific and critical to American society. Actually, lumping all blacks
together  under the rubric "race" is to lump all European ethnic together as a
"dominating  race," rather than a historically oppressing peoples with classes
amongst them;  classes that began polarizing in a different manner the moment
the barriers of  Jim Crow began falling.

It is accurate to insist that the election of Obama inaugurates the class
struggle in America, with a section of the intelligentsia as black, fighting
its
 last pitched battle to impose the concept of race on the emerging fighting
section of our fighting proletariat. I have the most personal responsibility
to  escort the black leader from the historical stage and add weight to the
fight to  deliver a catastrophic defeat to the theorists of race; a defeat from
which they  shall never recover. No because of "me," but rather, because a
juncture of  history has been closed out definitively.

It is a good thing to momentarily grasp ones moment of history.

On the other hand, the "First Lady," is of course a "sister," meaning Negro
rather than simply black. The obviousness of this is such that it requires no
mention amongst the descendants of Southern slavery and indigenous Southern
whites. "First Lady" Michelle's great-great grandfather Jim Robinson, was born
 in the 1850s, and was a slave on the Friendfield plantation in South
Carolina.  The family believes that after the Civil War he remained a
Friendfield
plantation sharecropper for the rest of his life and that he was buried there
in
 an unmarked grave.[3]
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Barack_Obama#Fraser_Robinson_III_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Barack_Obama#Fraser_Robinson_III)

First Lady Michelle walks with the nuance of the former slave. Her body
reeks with tension from head to toe. The expressions carved into her face is
unmistakable. Here is the real American culture and subtly of the cultural war,

both bourgeoisie and revolutionaries seek to appropriate. Michelle, rather than
 President Barack completes the spiraling loop of logic that is American
history.  It is Michelle that serves as something of a flesh and blood block,
anchor and  brunt instrument against a historical Southern reaction, whose
political  institutions serves as the institutional platform for the resurgent
fascist  movement, momentarily stunned, and compelled to seek its realignment.

Michelle’s story is that of the Southern black immigrant migrating North.
President Obama has adopted the "Negro" culture in a manner no different than
any other American. The content of his vocalizing the aspirations of the
American peoples are better understood in this context. Obama speaks of the
American Dream, hard work and lifting oneself up with their bootstraps, not
from
the standpoint of the verifiable history of the Negro People, but as the
dynamic
 of the American melting pot. This is not a bad thing, simply one side of our
 history.

Obama stated in his keynote address to the 2004 Democratic National
Convention in Boston, "There is not a Black America and a White America and a
Latino
America and Asian America–there’s a United States of America."

Two years later in his book, "The Audacity of Hope," he wrote, "when I hear
commentators interpreting my speech to mean that we have arrived at a  ‘
postracial politics’ or that we already live in a color-blind society, I have
offer a word of caution. To say that we are one people is not to suggest that
race no longer matters–that the fight for equality has been won, or that the
problems minorities face in this country today are largely self-inflicted."

Yet, he concludes that "the overwhelming majority [of white Americans]  these
days are able - if given the time, to look beyond race in making their
judgments of people."

Here, President Obama is not speaking on a symbolic level. "Categories such
as "social justice" and "change" were never before wielded with such force by
any U.S. politician of Obama's level," because there has never been anyone
quite  like Obama as President. In the individual meaning as well as the
implications  for American society and its history of grappling with the color
factor, Obama  is a new thing. Obama expresses one side of the African American
"people" -  (even this language is outdated) more than less one to two
generations
America.  Negroes in America are not immigrants, but a home grown product
incubated in the  chambers of slavery.

Everyone in America faces the same issue of quantifying social progress.
From the communist standpoint what is meant is that class unity is achievable
today, in those areas where our working class as a class exists and commingles
as "one people." The complexity of our fight is that only one sector of the
proletariat exists in antagonism with all capital. The overwhelming majority
maintains its bond with capital, even against its own subjective will.

There is without question much that can be learned from revolutionary Cuba,
in quantifying it progression from the age old evils of slavery and the color
factor in history by providing examples of method for such quantifying and
examples of "how" this is carved in the face of a new generation of leaders.
Fidel’s greatness shall live forever, and his "History Will Absolve Me," lives
within generations and revolutionaries to come. Many of us have always
understood and wedded the  idealism of Marti with the generalship of Maceo.
Cuba,
as I understand it, perhaps incorrectly, is more than 70% black, with all  its
implications for the on going revolutionary process and the restless counter
revolution.

A story about Cuba was passed from one older communist to us younger guys,
who happen to be more black and brown than not, due to the color factor in our
history. A pre-Revolutionary incident in Havana involved a black Cuban, who
was  refused a haircut by a white Cuban and this incident turned into real
struggle  against inequality and the color line. The reason a story such as
this
is etched  into the memory of many a Communist as a starling event, is not the
existence of  the color line, because Cuba was also historically a brutal
society of slavery.  Here in America no black man could even imagine walking
into
a white barber shop  in the first place, and then demanding a haircut, even
after the fall of Jim  Crow. Such an act was once inconceivable, and not very
long ago. In fact, such  an act is still the exception to the rule in much of
America.

OK?

The black bourgeoisie, (the real black bourgeoisie) and most certainly the
black entrepreneur and small business persons can at a moment notice, quantify
the crossing of the color line on the basis of barbershop traffic and who
cuts  whom hair. President Obama’s greatness is getting elected and being sworn
into  office. The honeymoon ended after the last dance on inaugural night and
it was  quite a night to remember.

The vision becomes the cause; the cause creates the new vision.

This is to say revolutionary Cuba is way ahead of America in many respects,
but the dialectic of vision and cause, was applied to the world, although the
communists from whom I hail, are extremely sensitive about what we write and
say  in respects to the world. Already I have said to much.

All revolutions contain the same dialectical parts.

End Game

American under Obama is a somewhat different America, precisely because a
somewhat different America called forth Obama and revealed itself for all to
see.

These more or less superficial comments began with the sentence: "John
Foster Dulles, leading Cold War warrior and America’s secretary of state from
1953
to 1959, summed up America’s foreign policy as, "no permanent friends, just
permanent interest."

The strange thing about history as living movement and moments is that no
class or individual or group of leaders can will history into doing what is
exactly desired. The colliding of millions of "heads" always produce something
no individual head desired.

Last week or so, I was watching "Larry King Live," interviewing President
Jimmy Carter, who did all but call for ending the $10 million dollars a day
sent
 to the state of Israel. Carter’s passionate denunciation of the fascist like
 Israeli aggression against the Palestinian is being highlighted in a way
uncommon to American politics. Regional economic and political blocks seem to
be
 in emergence, against a post WW II backdrop that all but "more than less"
did  away with inter-imperialist rivalry.

American policy is in need of shift as international capital seeks
realignment. Even Israel as a state, is not sacred to American imperial
interest.
Relations with tiny Cuba most certainly needs repairing with my  government
taking
all the first steps. Cuba poses zero danger to America and  most Americans
understand this. Most certainly the Obama administration  understands this even
better.

In America, Cuba is an ideological football to be kicked up and down the
field and to be conveniently pulled out to satisfy old counter-revolutionaries
-
worms, dreams and fantasying over fortunes lost by the revolution. Cuba has
long  ago stop being the image of Lucy Ball’s - (an honorable person), "Ricky
Ricardo." Since the Cuban Revolution another generation of Cuban immigrants
have  matured, with grown children with children of their own. The possibility
for  change exists.

Imperialism has not changed its colors; or rather it has in fact undergone  a
change from its raw white chauvinism as international policy - to a large
degree, but there is no change in the metabolism of capital. Short of the
overthrow of the power of capital in the hands of individuals and universal
economic activity on this basis, real people have to push and push harder when
periods of policy shift open. Just as Lincoln was never pushed to the left,
Obama
and the Obama administration cannot be pushed to the left. Lincoln had to
act or be run over by events spiraling out of control. No one intended on
emancipating the slaves except the various wings of the anti-slavery movement
amongst the American people. Our Civil War did not just have to happen as it
did
because Lincoln, a bourgeois politician no doubt, had put forth a compromise
to  satisfy the blood lust of capital North and South. A compromise was put
forth to  compensate the Slave Oligarchy and end slavery all together in 1940.

That's 1940!

Southern pride, chauvinism and Southern honor collided with Yankee  arrogance
and industrial warfare. Pride and arrogance keeps America from  repairing
relations with Cuba. President Obama stated in front of the world that  America
would take anyone’s hand that opened their fist. Cuba’s tiny, but firm  hand
has been opened for many decades.

Today all of us face an era of robotic wars and the impact of the new
technological regime is increasingly felt by all.

Real men and women make wars declared and undeclared. The impulse for war
grows out of the logic of capital and war production as the means to overcome
the falling rate of profit and find outlets for capital in this moment of
permanent intractable over accumulation. Today this falling rate of profit is
not
a tendency but a dominating trend compelling capital to seek the impossible;
reconstitution on the basis of a new of mode of production. The last great
area  of possible investment seems poor downtrodden Mother Africa. Capitalism -

contrary to many opinions, begins its bloody rise with the rise of modern
slavery and discovery of the New World - Eldorado.

Perhaps, this is where it will find its historical resting place.

The logic of history seems to indicate we are in for a bumpy road. In the
spirit of the old Negro National Anthem:

Let us march on Til victory is won/lone.

Proletarians Unite.

Unite or Perish!

African American History Month 2009

WL.

Obama: Change or continuity? (Part III) By Elíades Acosta Matos
_http://progreso-weekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=800&Ite_
(http://progreso-weekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=800&Ite)
 mid=\1
The election of Barack Obama as the United States' 44th president and his
inauguration on Jan. 20 have placed on the table of public opinion the topic of

symbols and their possible readings. If anyone is fully aware of the enormous
cultural and political weight of symbols, it's Obama. The figure and discourse
of the new president, his charisma, brilliance, composure, boldness, charm,
cold  blood and intelligence return, on a symbolic level, a leadership its
country  lost due to the clumsiness and mediocrity of George W. Bush. The
alliances have  renewed themselves automatically, and an almost unanimous
applause
greets him at  all his public appearances. With notable exceptions, among them
one of Fidel  Castro's reflections, titled "Against the current," and an
article
by Ignacio  Ramonet that analyzed, with fair concern, the composition of
Obama's Cabinet,  few have stopped to scrutinize with a critical eye the first
measures taken by  his administration. In the specific case of the Israeli
aggression against the  Palestine people of Gaza, Obama defended his silence
alleging political reasons  and explained that the country should have only one
authoritative voice. But he  forgot two essential principles: one, that it is
legitimate and excusable to  raise one's voice against crime, because it is a
matter of ethical principles,  rather than political principles. Two, that if
the
voice of the nation had to be  the voice of the departing president, the world
would prefer that he would keep  his mouth shut. This lack of rigorous and
objective analyses of the projections  and decisions of the new U.S. president
remind us that few things are as  dangerous in the contemporary world and in
world politics than to write a blank  check to the president of the world's
most
powerful nation. This was  dramatically demonstrated after the events of
Sept.11, 2001.

On a symbolic level, Obama's rhetoric operates with arguments and concepts
taken from some "left lite" close to social-democracy. Categories such as
"social justice" and "change" were never before wielded with such force by any
U.S. politician of Obama's level. Independently from the fact that in his
public
 speeches he has never fully explained where social injustice emerges from
and  how it reproduces itself
(and consequently against what economic and  political forces we must
struggle to fully uproot it), it remains to be seen how  the president of the
most
overwhelming capitalist and imperialist nation wants  to carry out such
concepts
-- or can do so. The constant repetition of such  concepts in his speeches
clarifies nothing but leave a cloud of ambiguities and  confusions, especially
among the less-informed and less-militant sectors of the  left itself. We are
reminded of the actions of the cultural war, so appreciated  by today's
neoconservatives, who were toppled and are now in flight. Obama's  statements
that in
his presidency and under his leadership the differences  between Democrats
and Republicans, between left and right, will be erased are  subtle and very
adequate to introduce elements of confusion from capitalism,  because they
constitute a deceitful call to halt the political and ideological  struggle for
the
sake of a false and impossible reconciliation of things that  are opposed by
their nature. This involves, in the first place, social classes  that were
counter to each other ever since the genesis of capital. To accept  this
affirmation without a challenge is the equivalent of jettisoning all the
revolutionary
theory and practice of the past 150 years, especially the theory  that began
with Marx and Engels' "Communist Manifesto." That document made its  debut in
the field of ideas by speaking out loudly and clearly and not being  ashamed
to point out the true causes of poverty, exploitation and social  injustice.
Another symbolic element to bear in mind with regard to Obama is his
biography,
cleverly exploited by the hagiographers and political pundits. It  matters
little that he lived with his Kenyan father only until the age of 2 and  that
he
met with him again only once, just before the father's death. This  element
has been trotted out to gain the support of the most humiliated and  offended
citizens of his country and the Third World. On the other hand, the  image of
the American white mother with a history of counter-cultural rebellion  and
affinity with the left has also been widely used. It is unimportant if a man
with this background is today part of power elite or if he was yesterday a
student at Columbia University, an institution in the aristocratic and
selective
Ivy League. We have been oversold the idea that, through elections, the
discriminated and progressive groups have finally achieved power in the United
States through this new president. He has carried out, we are told, something
similar to a peaceful and democratic revolution that (oh, what a coincidence)
leaves a feeling in the air that it is a superior and mature system, because it

respects the people's will and is capable of rectifying a long history of
errors. This young man (barely 47) has proclaimed himself the representative of

a different and innovative way of doing politics, even though the novelty is
not  only that he sends personalized messages to the cell phones of millions
of  Americans. For generational reasons, he is not related to the major
confrontations of the 20th Century, among them the Cold War and the Vietnam
war,  so
therefore he is seen as much more capable of understanding post-modern
sensitivities and the challenges and opportunities of our times. His ambiguous
anecdotes about his moderate consumption of alcohol and drugs during his
student
years humanized him in the eyes of the public, converted him in an example of
 self-improvement and publicized the facilities his country provides for
people  to succeed and reinsert themselves into society. And his archetypical
image --  which reflects and represents almost every social class, race and
profession --  is enhanced when he publicly describes himself as an educated,
well-informed man  who is not ashamed of being an intellectual and being
familiar
with the new  technologies, as happens with the younger generations, because
much of his  success is due to the fact that he understands that today's
politics
and ideas  cannot succeed without the Internet. What I've said so far is
intended to  activate the rational and analytical thinking of people who face
new
times,  times that are coming with this new administration and will force a
rethinking  of many previous certainties and discourses. The days of the Cold
War, when a  handful of creative youngsters working for U.S. government
agencies
could  transform the perception of reality through cartoons, radio
broadcasts, the  spreading of rumors and the distribution of magazines, today
seem like
the days  of a prehistoric past. Today, everything is more complex and at the
same time  simpler. However, the certainty remains that the cultural tools are
most useful  to advance, promote, impose and defend the interests of a
superpower such as the  United States. Tools of ideological and cultural
struggle
are the concepts of  the "soft and intelligent power" that back the
international projections of  Barack Obama's administration. The ideological
challenges
this implies for  countries like Cuba and Venezuela, for example, are enormous.
For the Cuban  Revolution, for its people, its artists and intellectuals,
moments of testing  are at hand. The battle of ideas will enter a brand-new
phase.
The  self-preservation instincts of a system like capitalism, which is being
flogged  by a crisis of an unprecedented magnitude, will impose itself over
its imperial  dreams, which have foundered on the streets of Baghdad or the
Afghan mountains.  Imperialism knows that if it doesn't evolve it will
disappear.
That is why we  are witnessing and well-thought-out rescue operation, not only
in the field of  finance but also in the fields of ideas and symbols. Barack
Obama's presidency,  aside from its positive or negative results, shows that
the system is willing to  transform anything that does not alter its essence,
willing to articulate its  habitual hegemonic methods, so long as they remain
untouchable. But in the field  of ideas and culture, which is where the real
extent of the promised changes  will be measured, there is no infallible or
invincible formula. The proposals of  soft and smart power are neither
infallible
nor invincible, either. An  interesting article by Josef Joffe, published in
The New York Times on May 14,  2006, under the headline "The perils of soft
power," is illustrative. "Soft  power does not necessarily increase the world's
love for America. It is still  power, and it can still make enemies. [...]
Hundreds of millions of people  around the world wear, listen, eat, drink,
watch
and dance American, but they do  not identify these accouterments of their
daily lives with America [...] These  American products shape images, not
sympathies, and there is little, if any,  relationship between artifact and
affection." (1) Certainly, what will prompt  humanity to believe in the United
States
under the government of Barack Obama,  and to believe in Obama himself, will
not
be the rhetoric of a soft and  intelligent power, well-packaged though it may
be or pacifying though it may be,  compared with the apocalyptic statements
of the previous administration. What  will be essential will be the practical
policies that the current administration  will enact; they need to be
sufficiently honest, effective, fair and timely, so  they may help remedy the
huge ills
that corrode the planet. If the United States  under the new presidency
insists on continuing to be what it has been until now  -- an imperialist and
hegemonic power -- then the vote of confidence given by  the American voters
and
the rest of the world to that young, black, brilliant  and charismatic man who
entered history by wielding the word "change" was  worthless, simply because it
changed nothing. In the days of Rome, especially  for the Gauls, Jews and
Germans, Rome was Rome, no matter who sat on the  imperial throne -- Caesar,
Nero
or Constantine. The time has come to find out if  the man who holds in his
hands the reins of the world's most powerful nation  symbolizes continuity or
change. Let's hope it's change. April 30 will mark the  first 100 days of the
new mandate of the United State's 44th president. As our  grandmothers used to
say: "Works are love." Let's hope that the black lady who  lived on the shores
of Lake Victoria, or the white lady in Kansas, taught the  same to their
grandson, Barack Hussein Obama.
1. Josef Joffe: "The perils of  soft power", The New York Times, May 14,
2006. Elíades Acosta Matos is a  Cuban writer and essayist. He has written
numerous essays and books, among them  "Apocalypse according to St. George,"
"From Valencia to Baghdad." His latest  book, "21st Century imperialism; The
cultural wars," will be launched at the  2009 Havana Book Fair. Acosta was
chief
of the Department of Culture of the  Central Committee of the Communist Party
of Cuba.

_http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm_
(http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm)