[Marxism] Massacre of Chilean students in Florida panhandle

    * Subject: [Marxism] Massacre of Chilean students in Florida panhandle
    * From: "Joaquin Bustelo" <jbust...@gmail.com>
    * I guess xenophobic murder is becoming so common in the United States it's
become a dog-bites-man non-story -- at least for the Anglo press.

This time the victims were Chilean students
 participating in a work-study
program and staying at the Florida panhandle seaside town of Miramar Beach.
They were having a social when someone
 opened up on the people inside house
through a window.

Two were killed, three more injured, one remained in critical condition
according to the most recent information.

The perp was one Dannie Baker, a white
60-year-old Bush-Cheney volunteer in
the 2004 election campaign who also appears to have been active in religious
affairs.

It took place 48 hours ago as I write this,
shortly before 2AM Thursday
morning, but the first report in the U.S. outside local media came out early
Friday morning, and that only on Spanish
language TV. At that point there
are exactly eight stories on the event on the web in English that Google
News knew about, but only three appeared
to be original reporting, the
others are rewrites.

There are now 8 more articles in English, pretty much all updates by the
same news outlets.

If you look at the web site stories on the case,
you will see how gingerly
they dance around the motive. The perp is described as having written
radical and disturbing emails, being eccentric,
and various other things.
But only if you read to the very end of one dispatch (or watch the video) do
you get some clear idea of what went down:

"Neighbor Crystal Lynn says 'he did come up
 to me one time and asked me if I
was ready for the revolution to begin and if I had any immigrant in my house
to get them out," channel 7 WJHG reported.

By contrast, a Google News search in Spanish
(news.google.es) reveals a
couple of hundred articles, including coverage by various news agencies,
AFP, Notimex and Prensa Latina among them.
There are articles in Spanish
language newspapers from LA to Tierra del Fuego and from New York to
Patagonia in Argentina. And unlike the English stories, most had no problem
describing what happened *accurately* -- a
 murderous attack on Latinos by an
Anglo ("American.") Nor placing it in context, explaining this was one MORE
in a series of murders and other attacks on
 Latinos that have taken place
recently in the United States.

Most striking to me is that the U.S. outlet
 that has had the most coverage
has been CNN's Spanish-language network, but I can find no trace of CNN's
main domestic (English-language) network
 or web site having even mentioned
the story. Similarly, El Herald had a substantial story, the
English-language Miami Herald ignores the story.

Joaquin