CeJ jannuzi at gmail.com

>>CB: Think about it. To admit that macroeconomics can be understood
scientifically is to admit that there can be macroeconomic planning,
ie. centralized planning, that Hayek is wrong. So, the bourgeoisie are
always going to be leery of a prize for the science of economics.
This contradiction also must doom  the project of every school of
bourgeois, i.e. "free market", economics to "fail" or else it
undermines free market ideology.<<

Perhaps, but not necessarily. This is why the Vienna line of
economists emphasize 'logic'. They think they are tapping into some
sort of subsistent realm and providing a picture that captures the
reality.

^^^^^
CB: What means "tapping in " ? smile.  Somehow they "tap into" it, and
provide a picture, but that tap in and picture don't allow using it to
guide practice and plan.  Sounds like some kind of Kantian unknowable
thing-in-itself , what Engels calls shamefaced materialism.  If the
Viennans can't do anything with their "logic" , I don't think they
should get credit for knowing anything.

^^^^

So according to a lot of thinkers following on Hayek, markets are
rational because they encompass the totality of economic activity and
express a 'collective will'. What the market does is rational, even if
it doesn't make sense to an individual businessman, ponzi schemer,
duped investor or academic economist.

^^^^
CB: The only ones it makes "sense" to are the anti-Communist
ideologues trying to claim centralized planning is "impossible". What
a mytifying crock of shit.

^^^^^

I don't buy recent arguments that the advent of supercomputers will
result in our ability to model sufficiently in order to 'see all'. I'm
still waiting for a three day extended weather forecast that is
actually correct.

^^^^
CB: What, with such a supercomputer, hurricanes will suddenly make
"sense"  or be "logical" ?  They make "sense" now. When one is coming
, move out of town until it blows over.  That's centralized weather
planning.

^^^^^^^

I think the debate of public vs. private is largely irrelevant here.
The question is more along the lines of on what scale can you
undertake economic planning and business. The calamities of the US's
occupation of Iraq shows both the calamities of central planning and
the 'magic of the markets'.

^^^^^
CB: The calamaties of the US's occupation of Iraq show that
centralized planning of war causes mass death and destruction.

Centralized planning of production and distribution of goods and
services averts and remedies death and destruction.

^^^^

Of course Hayek would look at recent financial events and see them as
a rational change, a rational collective action of the market,  I
guess.

^^^^^^^
CB: What an idiot and prostitute for capitalism Hayek was

^^^^

As for being anti-science, as the paper that started this thread
states, anti-science has often been associated with post-mo
Marxists--literary Marxists and social theorists (although I disagree
and don't seem them following mainly from Althusser). That potential
was always there in the thought of Marx himself.

^^^^^
CB: Wheres the potential for anti-science in the thought of Marx ?

^^^^

Which brings us back to a recurring but much larger debate: is there
such thing as a social science? Will there be a body of thought that
unifies the various 'soft sciences' (social, psycho-,
logico-formal--such as formal linguistics-- etc.)? Will there be a
body of thought that ultimately unifies the social sciences with the
natural sciences, etc?

^^^^^
CB: Historical materialism is the social science from Marxism. See my
posts from a few months back on materialism.

^^^^^

I tend to take an anti-scientific stance in the fields that affect me
the most--applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language
education, education, etc. This often gets me backed into a corner
with the children of the romantics, but for me it is more a stance of
rationalism--destroy all pseudo-sciences and their various forms of
oppression.

^^^^^^^
CB: Well, you are the linguist, but I'm not convinced there aren't
laws and regular patterns in languages, grammars. Clearly we follow
rules in speaking. There are definite grammatically correct and
incorrect statements.

There's lots of science in law, jurisprudence. It's very materialist.
Must base legal claims on material evidence, etc.