O STREET PIMP MY BLOG CHALLENGE
I'm an atheist, so what?
FINALIST
By PETER JURICH • O STREET GUEST BLOGGER • August 3, 2009

I was at work when someone brought up that I am an atheist.

A nearby coworker nearly had a heart attack.

"You are?" she asked. "But ... you're such a ... good person!"

In the words of Oneita: Oh, my.

I'd like to set the record straight on atheism. Being an atheist opens
up my world to the different possibilities I may have otherwise
missed. It makes me an accepting individual because it is an exercise
in questioning that allows me to explore any and all walks of life.

Atheism breaks down the barriers put up by racism, sexism, xenophobia
and other discrimination because I have an understanding that there is
nothing more important (i.e. an invitation into heaven) than the
feelings I share with others.

I explained this to my coworker.

"Well, I'm older than you," she said. "I understand more."

I didn't tell her that I attended a strict, private Catholic school
for eight years, that I had questions my teachers nervously refused to
answer, and that I've since answered those questions myself. I did,
however, tell her my views were not without research. Yes, she is
older, but that doesn't mean anything.

I am capable of empathy, optimism, sadness, patriotism, guilt and love.

I told her I'm more confident because I'm not ashamed of any thoughts.
I neglected to stress that I still differentiate between right and
wrong, but I assumed she knew that.

I don't do drugs, have sex with strangers, drive insanely fast or bust
caps in asses.

Her response? "Someday, you'll get it."

In respect to the warm and fuzzy feeling one gets (and I've tried very
hard to get) from organized religion, I can get that same feeling by
going to a concert. All we are feeling is the energy of a group of
people coming together enthusiastically for a common interest. The
difference is the context: Believers feel God brought them together;
fans think it was Ticketmaster.

I ended the conversation out of respect for the workplace -- a public
school. Begrudgingly, I let my coworker have the final word.

"Don't give up," she said. "Just try keeping a more open mind."

PETER JURICH, 23, of Dearborn is a Wayne State University student who
wrote "Typing With One Hand."

Oneita the Editor's Note: I met Peter in February when he interviewed
me for a homework assignment. That was flattering, but it didn't curry
any favor: I rejected the first blog entry he submitted for this
challenge because it was lame. I chose this one because of Peter's
honesty and his perspective, and because I knew it would produce a
good conversation.