On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:33:58 -0400 "=?utf-8?Q?DG=C3=B6=C3=A7men?="
<dogangoec...@aol.com> writes:

> This year, after having amassed a collection of more than 20,000
> books,
> officials at the pristine campus about 90 minutes west of Boston
> have
> decided the 144-year-old school no longer needs a traditional
> library.
>

>  Jim,
> is that a decision taken because of real conviciton that tradional
> libraries are no longer necessary or is it rather taken because of
> financial pressure?
> I gues it is the second one.

I think so too.  The school in question is a private prep school
for the well-heeled, but this sort of thing can reverberate downwards
to effect financially strapped public school districts.  One can
easily imagine public school officials saying that they too will
dispense with books, saying that if a prep school like Cushing
Academy can do this, so can they.  The effect of such decisions
on children from working class and lower-middle class families
is likely to be far more negative than the impact that the
decision at Cushing Academy is likely to have on its own
students.

Jim Farmelant