My apologies. I responded to a post over a year old, and so my
response has no current relevance. I should have paid attention to the date.

I don't think much of Baraka, though, as a poet or as a radical.
Sometimes he hits the mark, but mostly he is a fool. I've seen him
many times over the years in several cities. He's at his worst when
engaging people in conversation, if that's what you want to call his
interactions with others. He seems to be incapable of listening. And
he is as politically irresponsible as anyone on the ultraleft. I
remember one particularly disgusting debate with Paul Robeson Jr. in
New York, which also involved black audience members insulting
Robeson in the crassest possible manner. Now I think that both of
them are sad cases, Robeson the more tragic one. Of all the times I
saw Robeson discussing current events, I was embarrassed for him each
time, since he never uttered anything but rubbish. He is exactly the
opposite of the ultraleftist, constantly debasing himself as a
booster of the flavor of the day, be it Jesse Jackson, David Dinkins,
Mikhail Gorbachev, Bill Clinton . . . it's sad and sickening. I also
remember Robeson Jr. sharply criticizing Baraka's irresponsible
posturing. So as I said, what a turnaround for Baraka to lecture the
left for not supporting Obama.