I re-titled this since I was the one who mistakenly gave it the 'digest' title.

CB:>>Is we is or is we ain't in recession ? Unemployment is 10% ! The
working class is in depression. The bourgeoisie are recovering.<<

Officially, according to the bourgeois economists, US and Japan, among
many other countries, are officially in recession, as they define the
term. Unemployment in the US? Just take the official figure and double
it in order to get some idea. And even the reported stats on
'underemployed' are misleading. In the US, the reported figures are
something like: people registering at state employment services
offices and accepting part-time work while saying they are still
seeking full-time work. Since these offices only handle a fraction of
the actual workforce, I'm not sure what to make of their counts except
to say they are undercounts and misleadingly used in order, well, to
mislead.

In terms of the working class, we are in a time in which there are
wars, repression, health care and income crises while capital has
over-production and, to put it non-technically, weak profits and
either an inability or less desire to borrow money (unless they are
stabilizing borrowing in order to cover short-term debt that is due).
Repressive politically and socially, a lack of expansion in the
economy.

America's working class seems to have one glimpse of transcendence:
belief that they are the holy warriors and progenitors of the holy
American empire and its mission to rule the world in the name of all
that is holy American. Of course as an everday phenomenon for many
that means tuning into American-produced TV or going to see an
American-produced movie, most of which re-inforce that view. And what
group of people elsewhere in the world understand that mentality and
exploit it? The rulers of Britain and Israel. And a few NATO allies,
like Denmark and the Netherlands.

CJ

--
Japan Higher Education Outlook