From:Juan Cole
Date: Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 2:43 AM

The great divide between liberal Jewish Americans and the Israeli Right has
lurked as an issue since the Likud Party first challenged Labor dominance in
the late 1970s. It is now coming to a boiling point, even as Israel's
reputation in the world is sinking. As rightwing policies more visibly fail,
the Likudniks are flailing around making fools of themselves by smearing
critics of those policies as racists. (Anyone who knows how Likud supporters
talk among themselves about Arabs and other outsiders can only be amused at
their impudent hypocrisy in playing the race card.)

The mess that Mossad's mercenaries (some of them possibly from the Fateh
Palestinian faction also opposed to Hamas) made of a routine political
assassination in Dubai of a Hamas agent funneling arms from Iran is a blow
against Ithe image of daring, stone-cold competence cultivated by the
Israeli security establishment. The killing went smoothly, but it transpires
that the assassins had not only stolen the passport identities of British
and Irish citizens, but those of several Israeli dual citizens originally
from the UK <http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1150424.html>, as well.
Mossad thus made potential problems for those passport holders for the rest
of their lives, since Interpol will be interested every time the numbers pop
up at an airport check-in.

The incident has roiled diplomatic relations with Ireland and the UK. But it
is also controversial in Israel (not the assassination but the bumbling
clumsy identity theft against Israeli citizens). After all, branding an
innocent Israeli an assassin is a sort of blood libel. Indeed, casual
political assassination as a routine Israeli method of statecraft makes many
Jews uncomfortable, as is visible in Steven Spielberg's film, *Munich*.

But the harbingers of isolation are numerous. The Netanyahu government has
largely defied President Obama's requests for a halt to the colonization of
the West Bank (a freeze on building new settlements in part of the West
Bank, while existing settlements are expanded and Palestinians are thrown in
the street in Jerusalem does not count).

The Israeli siege of the children of Gaza, some of whom are looking
skinnier, is impossible to justify and provoked even a US congressman to
urge a forceful breaking of the
blockade<http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/86872>.
The Goldstone Report on Israeli war crimes (and which also acknowledges
Hamas war crimes) for the United Nations is likely to attain an official
status of a sort denied to previous such clear-eyed examinations of Israeli
military action. (Israel's leadership suffered not the least from dropping
nearly a million cluster bombs on the civilian farms of southern Lebanon in
the last 3 days of the 2006 Lebanon War, though this targeting of civilians
was illegal and the US Congress had stipulated that the weapons could not be
used that way).

The reactionary parties of Likud, Shas, and Yisrael Beitenu have nothing in
common with the vast majority of Jewish Americans, who voted for Barack
Obama and are generally more progressive than non-Jewish Americans. The
establishment of a liberal Jewish lobby, J Street, which supports a
two-state solution (Israel and Palestine side by side), is a manifestation
of the increasing unease of progessive Jewish Americans with the policies
and aggressive wars of rightwing Israeli governments. It is no accident that
the Likud government has snubbed a delegation of US Congress members to
Israel who support J
Street<http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/136068>.
The Netanyahu government is all about colonizing more of the West Bank and
preventing the rise of a Palestinian state.

Then you have Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein supporting the movement to
break the Israeli
blockade<http://www.gazafreedommarch.org/article.php?id=5253>of Gaza
civilians, including children.

The Israeli occupation and colonization of the West Bank provoked former
president Jimmy Carter to warn of an Apartheid situation. Although he was
viciously attacked by the likes of Alan Dershowitz and subjected to the
typical dirty tricks deployed by fanatical nationalists of all stripes, he has
been vindicated by remarks of Israeli politician Ehud
Barak<http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/02/israel_demography_democracy_or_apartheid>,
who just said the same thing Carter had.

The occupation is also provoking an increasing move to boycott Israel,
especially firms and concerns based in the West Bank settlements or
connected to the Lebanon and Gaza Wars. The second largest union of Canadian
federal employees has joined such a boycott. During the Gaza War,
Scandinavian grocery chains cancelled their orders for Israeli fruit, and
the South African longshoremen declined to unload Israeli ships.

It is anxiety over the prospect that the current far-right Netanyahu
government is becoming increasingly isolated from the world community,
including the Obama administration in the US, and from a new generation of
progressive Jewish Americans that explains the rash of scurrilous charges of
'anti-Semitism' being thrown around by the 'Israel-can-do-no-wrong' crowd in
recent days.

You had Leon Wieseltier's unsubstantiated and shameful attack on Andrew
Sullivan<http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/leon-wieseltier-vs-andrew-sullivan/>,
which Sullivan effectively
refuted<http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/02/something-much-sadder.html>--
as did Glenn
Greenwald<http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:8V3kOxvekDUJ:www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/02/10/tnr/index.html+Greenwald+Wieseltier&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us>,
Matthew Ygglesias, and a number of others. As Greenwald points out, the use
of the 'anti-Semitism' charge against ordinary every day non-bigoted people
who just don't agree with some policy of Israel or of the American
Enterprise Institute risks making the term meaningless and cheapening it,
which can hardly be good for the Jews.

Meanwhile, the main strategy of the Israeli and Jewish-American Right to
preserve Israeli capacity to continue the colonization and to act
belligerently in the region had been the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in
Iraq. That strategem has failed, as I argued in
Salon<http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/01/08/gaza/>.
The Shiite fundamentalists who have taken over Baghdad are pro-Hizbullah and
pro-Palestinian. (Hizbullah was in part set up by the Islamic Mission Party,
Da'wa, of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, and Da'wa supported Hamas in
the recent Gaza War). Moreover, Baghdad has ceased helping contain Iran for
the Sunni Arab world and the West, and is now a close ally of Tehran. The
prospect of a well-armed, 250,000-man Iraqi army now being reconstituted,
and riddled with agents of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, must be a
matter of consternation for Israelis. Only Jordan separates them form Iraq,
now an outpost of the Shiite religious parties allied with Khamenei. The
Neoconservatives, such as Richard Perle, David Frum, Paul Wolfowitz, Irv
Lewis Libby, Michael Rubin, Douglas Feith, John Bolton, Larry Franklin and
others thus not only shot themselves in the foot, but they shot Israel in
the chest.

This Iraq strategy, which intended to stop the Rabin peace process and
prevent the return of Gaza and the West Bank to the Palestinians for their
state, was laid out by Richard Perle, Douglas Feith, and other
Neoconservatives in a white paper for Bibi Netanyahu in 1996. Many of the
authors were subsequently put in high office by Bush-Cheney and pushed for
an American war on Iraq with dirty tricks and false propaganda in 2002-2003.
They included Canadian gadfly journalist David Frum, who authored Bush's
2002 'Axis of Evil' speech in consultation with Perle. The mostly Jewish
Neoconservatives were only one faction in the Bush-Cheney coalition that
wanted regime change in Baghdad, which included the Christian Right, Big
Oil, and the military-industrial complex. However influential, they were not
'in control' and most Jewish Americans opposed their ideas and policies.

Frum, a Canadian who only became naturalized as a US citizen in 2007, was
important in the early years of the Bush presidency and crafted many of the
falsehoods and propaganda points that got up the Iraq War. He bears a heavy
responsibility for the unnecessary deaths of over 4000 US military
personnel, for the deaths of some 600,000 Iraqis, and for the displacement
of nearly 4 million Iraqis. In a just world, David Frum would be on trial
for his role in severe violations of international law, as would Bush,
Cheney, Perle, and the rest of those bald-faced liars and warmongers.

To cover his prevarications and failed policies, Frum joined Wieseltier in
playing the anti-Semitism card at CNN this
week<http://trueslant.com/johnknefel/2010/02/16/david-frum-would-like-you-to-cease-and-desist-with-your-criticisms-of-israel/>,
piling on Sullivan but also smearing yours truly. His exhibit A was a
passage in which I complained about supporters of the Israeli Likud party
attempting to enlist the US military to fight wars on behalf of that party's
platform. The column was mainly about Larry Franklin, a Catholic, who went
to jail on
espionage<http://www.juancole.com/2004/08/pentagonisrael-spying-case-expands.html>charges
for passing classified Pentagon documents to AIPAC and the Israeli
embassy.

Since supporters of the Likud government, Christian and Jewish, are even now
attempting to foment a US war on Iran on behalf of rightwing objectives in
Israel (Iran is no more a threat to the United States than Iraq had been), I
rather stand by my condemnation of them.

As someone who travels to Israel, collaborates on research with Israeli
colleagues, supports Israelis' right to live normal and fulfilling lives in
security, and recently stayed in a kubbutz, I am puzzled by Frum's innuendo.
I am critical of Israeli policy in Gaza and the West Bank, but then so are
former prime ministers Ehud Olmert and Ehud Barak; I think I probably
haven't said anything on the issue that clear-eyed Israelis haven't already
said themselves.

But I will complain about David Frum's dual loyalties. I am very suspicious
of a rightwing Stephen Harper-style Canadian becoming so influential in the
United States. I like my Canadians in their normal, sane estate. I fear he
may be influencing my country in directions that benefit rightwing Canadian
politicians and war industries in Ottawa. Although Canada has also leant us
treasures like William Shatner, Dan Akroyd and Paul Schaeffer, for which I'm
grateful, the latter never became ensconced in the halls of power or
encouraged anyone to fire a shot in anger off the set.

Posted By Juan Cole to Informed
Comment<http://www.juancole.com/2010/02/decline-of-israeli-right-and-increasing.html>at
2/18/2010 02:08:00 AM