In a message dated 2/23/2010 10:12:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
_jann...@gmail.com_ (mailto:jann...@gmail.com)  writes:

Until health care is seen as a basic right of citizenship (or residence),
the government can always deny it to this or that part of the population.
These  workers will go down fighting for something they think they deserve,
not what  they think Americans or human beings deserve. Even if they win in
their  struggle, 40-80 million Americans have already lost.

CJ

Comment

I have not been detained enough in describing the actual struggle and
process as it took place. RETIREES FOR SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE has as its core

Conyers health care bill 676, which proposes to provide health care for
everyone  in the United States of North America. Our union - UAW, has passively
stated in  its documents at every Constitutional Convention, its desire for
such a system  of national health care in America. This call for a system
of national health  care is perhaps twenty years old. The problem arises
because there is never any  union activity to realize this goal.

I do not want to get lost in all the details but the system of health care
for auto workers, was owned and controlled by the auto companies as profits
 centers. For instance the largest system of hospitals in Detroit remains
the  Henry Ford hospital to this very day. Thus, there has not been a
historic  impulse arising from within the organized autoworkers for a all
inclusive
health  care system as an answer to autoworkers health care concerns.

When retirees lost our company sponsored eye and dental coverage and as the
 company pushed to detach retirees from company sponsored health care,
retired  workers sought to combine together to retain their traditional heath
care  coverage. This process of combining together is in its first phase and
began  with four, maybe six people. These older workers retain a sense of
organization,  militancy and connections with the historic communist current as
a part of their  age and generations inheritance. What was a hand full of
people in six months  became meetings of 30 - 40 people, with presidents of
Local Union retirees  groups meeting.

Ten months ago resistance to passing out our literature was faced at
various local union meeting in around the city. Some union leaders sought to
shout us down in union meetings or prohibit us from disturbing literature in
the  meetings, although we were polite and respectful and always asked. Then
the  threat came, which we face and replied "we are fuckng armed and can
start dying  right fucking now." As the crisis deepened and an interest in the
new VEBA plans  rose we became popular and all was forgiven about our
"anti-union" attitude. The  word slowly spread that some of us were meeting on
Monday’s at Local 22. People  started showing up. We started taking part in all
meeting and protest for  national health care and began a "running
education" on the health care crisis.

The point trying to be made in the "same page article" by Sam Webb is how
to fight things out in real time and why it is impossible to fight on the
level  of fighting a system. Condemning Obama and the Obama administration is
an act of  futility and nothing more than sectarianism in the context of
actually trying to  organize small groups of people to express their struggle
for survival.

The struggle of the workers - proletarian, always passes through phases
embodying how individuals and the collective mind perceives its rights. This
perception of "rights" is shaped by and a product of the era of the
bourgeoisie.  The struggle of the proletariat in all countries is in fact a
struggle over shares of the social products, services and for greater political

liberty. As a general rule most strike struggle - not all, go down in defeat
but  one must fight or die. What is different about this new emerging fight
is the  perception by these older workers that their struggle is that of a
class. Yes,  this perception is still fuzzy, but the retired workers
combining under the  banner of a single payer system means transcending the
narrow
bound of "my  individual needs."

We are in for exciting and glorious times.

Lt us march on til victory is one/won.

WL