I can't say I keep up with Zionist arguments since 1967. There have been
a number of arguments for over a century to bolster the obviously shaky
arguments for the colonization of a patch of desert that had no live
connection with the European Jews of the 19th century. How much weight
those arguments were given depended heavily on the actual situation of
European Jews, and of course there were weighty counter-arguments as
well. Now if there were no connection whatever between contemporaneous
Jews of a century ago and ancient Judaea, meaning that ancient Judaea
never existed, or that there was no component of its inhabitants that
made its way to Europe ever, then I suppose the argument for Palestine
as opposed to Uganda, Argentina, or Nevada may have never gotten
anywhere, though you never know. There were those like Zamenhof who
thought the actual direct lineage was rather threadbare, not to mention
that any actual connection was effectively meaningless.

However, for the sake of argument, suppose that modern day Jews could be
connected to the ancient Israelites, and assume also that a huge
percentage of moder Jews got that way via conversion rather than a
bloodline to ancient Israel. So what difference does that make? I
remember from 45-50 years the argument that Israel is the homeland of
the Jews, but I never heard even once any argument for racial or ethnic
purity and I can't see what damned difference it would make one way or
the other, any more than I ever heard any arguments based on the Bible
or the notion of the chosen people. Of course, people may well have
harbored those ideas and I missed the memo. The point remains, the only
argument I ever heard, at least one I can remember that stuck in my
head, was the argument from the history of anti-semitism all over the
world, and the argument from the Holocaust. As far as I know, these were
the only arguments anyone cared about, but apparently I was wrong.

Actually, it all seems pretty ridiculous now. I suppose Einstein's
version of Zionism was reasonable and endorseable, but in retrospect it
seems completely unrealistic. I guess you had to be a European Jew tired
enough of humiliation and exclusion to entertain the notion. This rather
than an ur-racism and lust for conquest--a Stalinist lie of
long-standing, explains a lot, at least for those removed from the scene
where the dirty work that was done. That's my argument, which is not an
endorsement for Zionism, just in case anyone is tempted yet again to
accuse me of being an agent of AIPAC. A Jewish friend of mine who just
treated me to a birthday movie, dinner, and inebriation told me just a
few hours ago he thinks Zionism in the end is bad for the Jews, and I
wouldn't argue otherwise, except to say that examining the historical
time line with some care, while not necessarily arguing the plausibility
of an alternate time line, would at least grant a more convincing
perspective than the simple-minded propaganda of Stalinists and third
world nationalists, which turns out to be a less effective ideological
tool in combatting Israel's actions than they fancy.