In a message dated 7/12/2010 11:11:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
_cb31...@gmail.com_ (mailto:cb31...@gmail.com)  writes:

In the context of _What is to be done_, I think Lenin's "revolutionary
theory" is  a synonym for Marxism. More specifcally, a revolutionary  movement
had to be based on a concrete assessment of the classes and class  struggle,
relative strengths and levels of class consciousness in 1903 Russia.  So,
Lenin's reference to theory is not so "sexy" there.

Comment

Sure, but this pretty general. One cannot effectively combat and/or  defeat
their class opponent based on a general theory. A concrete assessment of
contending forces means formulating a line of march and doctrine of combat.
In  China the theory of "political revolution" or insurrection was based on a
 military doctrine of standing armies, winning the peasant masses to the
cause of  revolution and against imperial control of China. In Russia the
doctrine of  political revolution - insurrection, was based on "the party of a
new type"  rather than building an army. In America we are discovering the
form of our  third political revolution.

Mao’s theory of political revolution had more to do with doctrines dealing
with the art of war, rather than anything specific to Marxism. Actually,
Lenin’s  concept of a "party of a new type" has more to do with doctrine of
insurrection,  than anything specific to the writings of Marx, although Engels
calls  insurrection an art.

We - where I grew up, say "science knows" and "doctrine does." Marxism as
the study of the science of society change - in general, is different from
that  aspect of Marxism focused on doctrine of combat.

WL.