This wiki article claims the song was inspired by working class
activist and later Communist, Mother Jones.

"
"Mother" Jones is believed to be the inspiration behind the song lyrics.

Carl Sandburg, in The American Songbag, suggests that "she" refers to
union organizer Mary Harris "Mother" Jones going to promote formation
of labor unions in the Appalachian coal mining camps."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27ll_Be_Coming_%27Round_the_Mountain

She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain

"She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain" (also sometimes called simply
"Coming 'Round the Mountain") is an American folk song often
categorized as children's music. It is a derivation of a Negro
spiritual known as "When the Chariot Comes".
Contents
[hide]

    * 1 Old African American Spiritual
    * 2 Children's song
          o 2.1 Lyrics
          o 2.2 Interpretation
    * 3 Variations
    * 4 Sources

[edit] Old African American Spiritual

The song refers to the Second Coming and subsequent Rapture. The she
refers to the chariot the returning Christ is imagined as driving.

O, who will drive the chariot When she comes? O, who will drive the
chariot When she comes? O, who will drive the chariot, O, who will
drive the chariot, O, who will drive the chariot When she comes?

King Jesus, he'll be driver when she comes, When she comes . . . .

She'll be loaded with bright Angels When she comes . . . .

She will neither rock nor totter, When she comes . . . .

She will run so level and steady, When she comes . . . .

She will take us to the portals, When she comes . . . .
[edit] Children's song

Although the first printed version of the song appeared in Carl
Sandburg's The American Songbag in 1927, the song is believed to have
been written during the late 1800s. The song was based on an old Negro
spiritual titled "When the Chariot Comes", which is sung to the same
melody. During the 19th century it spread through Appalachia where the
lyrics were changed into their current form. The song was later sung
by railroad work gangs in the Midwestern United States in the 1890s.
The song's style is reminiscent of the call and response structure of
many folk songs of the time, where one person would shout the first
line and others repeat.
[edit] Lyrics

She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes, (when she comes).
She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes, (when she comes).
She'll be coming 'round the mountain, she'll be coming 'round the mountain,
She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes, (when she comes).

The same structure is repeated with the following verses:

She'll be drivin' six white horses when she comes, etc.

Oh we'll all come out to meet her when she comes, etc.

She'll be wearing red pajamas when she comes, etc.

We will kill the old red rooster when she comes, etc.

We'll be havin' chicken and dumplings when she comes, etc.

She will have to sleep with Grandma when she comes, etc.

We'll all be shoutin' "Halleluja" when she comes, etc.

She'll be comin' down a road that's five miles long, etc.
[edit] Interpretation
"Mother" Jones is believed to be the inspiration behind the song lyrics.

Carl Sandburg, in The American Songbag, suggests that "she" refers to
union organizer Mary Harris "Mother" Jones going to promote formation
of labor unions in the Appalachian coal mining camps.

Currently the song is usually sung in collections of children's music
with slightly different lyrics. The song has been recorded by
musicians ranging from Pete Seeger to Barney the Dinosaur.

Harking back to the original lyrics of "When the Chariot Comes", the
song is sometimes referenced in relation to the end of the world, most
notably in The Illuminatus! Trilogy and the comic book Promethea.
[edit] Variations
        This section does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable
sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April
2010)

    * In the UK, especially with the elderly, it is common for the
lyrics "She'll be wearing pink pyjamas when she comes" and "Singing
ey, ey, yippee, yippee, ey. Singing ey, ey, yippee, yippee, ey.
Singing ey, ey, yippee, yippee ey, ey, yippee, ey, ey, yippee, yippee,
ey." to be sung.

At least three soccer chants are sung to the tune of this song:

    * English fans chant "Ten German Bombers" when their team is
playing Germany.
    * Jibjab created a satire about George W. Bush's re-election
called "Second Term" to the tune of "She'll Be Coming 'Round the
Mountain".

    * The American death metal band Macabre used the melody on the
song "Coming to Chicago" on their album "Dahmer" themed on the life of
Jeffrey Dahmer.

    * Bender of Futurama sang his own variation in "The Series Has Landed"

    * A Scottish children's song to this tune features the lyrics:

    Oh ye cannae shove yer granny off a bus
    No ye cannae shove yer granny off a bus
    No ye cannae shove yer granny, 'cause she's yer mammy's mammy,
    Ye cannae shove yer granny off a bus!

    * The German song "Tante aus Marokko" and the Dutch song "Tante
uit Marokko" share the same melody and some elements from the text.

[edit] Sources

    * William E. Barton, Old Plantation Hymns: A Collection of
Hitherto Unpublished Melodies of the Slave and the Freeman with
Historical and Descriptive Notes (1899).
    * Sandburg, C., The American Songbag. 1st Ed. Harcourt Brace, NY, 1927.
    * Studwell, William E. Lest we forget: a chronological historical
survey of some of the most notable songs of the first half of the 20th
century. Bloomington, Indiana: Many Musician Memories, 2001. Print.

Retrieved from
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27ll_Be_Coming_%27Round_the_Mountain";
Categories: Children's songs | American folk songs | Burl Ives songs