I don't think the analogy between existentialism and libertarianism
holds up. I should also point out that there is a strain of left
libertarianism that has nothing in common with American libertarianism
as we know it. I think of British Solidarity and Noam Chomsky as
examples. But our libertarianism is of the Ayn Rand stripe.

European existentialism has its left & right wing tributaries. The
cross-breeding and mutual criticisms of these variants need to be
examined. For example, both Marcuse and Sartre drew on Heidegger, but
Marcuse was the superior philosopher and quite aptly criticized Sartre
in 1948:

"Existentialism: Remarks on Jean-Paul Sartre's L'Etre et le Neant,"
/Philosophy and Phenomenological Research/, vol. 8, no. 3 (March 1948),
pp. 309-336.
http://www.marcuse.org/herbert/pubs/40spubs/48hmsartre.pdf?sici=0002-8762%28194904%2954%3A3%3C557%3AEOFAP%3E2.0.CO;2-F

Marcuse was hardly guilty of the same fundamental errors of Sartre, who
grafted Heideggerian thought onto a Cartesian base. Marcuse's
neo-Romantic strain comes from other German philosophers as well as
Heidegger. Of course, Marcuse was not an "existentialist", but
Existentialism itself draws on various sources, and gets transmuted into
different orientations in different national configurations and in
different tendencies within national contexts.

This is true in the USA, where Kierkegaard was appropriated by
reactionaries in the 1940s, but there was Richard Wright at the opposite
end of the spectrum. And there was mainly a Sartre/Camus influence
afterward, which also had a relationship to the civil rights movement.
Here the methodological individualism of Sartre--if one wants to call it
that--was not a major factor, but the notion of individual
responsibility for the social good. But then popular existentialism was
never technical philosophical existentialism, which in my view is asinine.