So the price of oil has risen because of big oil profiteering by withholding
supplies?

But only the other day, Doug Henwood was posting about how the world was
awash with oil which apparently no-one wants to buy.
So which is the truth? It would be nice if people followed a line for more
than a few days at a time; on the other hand, if all that is required by way
of refutation is to repost what Doug said three days ago, it does make
things easier I suppose.

Doug Henwood (an economist) thinks 'there is plenty of oil' and it's just a
question of supply and demand. The truth is that there is plenty of oil but
not plenty of CHEAP oil. $11/bbl wellhead price is NOT cheap by historical
standards. If that is the marker price for what the oil patch now calls
'conventional oil' then it is a sign of coming economic distress.

I am seriously glad if Doug Henwood is researching the subject (at last!)
but it is no good just reading economists (although reading Daniel Yergin's
or even Greg Nowell's books is a useful beginning). 'Avoiding boom-bust' has
been the precise definition of the oil industry ever since the 1860s when
John D Rockefeller drove the Pennsylvanian wildcatters from the market by
cornering the railroad supply system. But the question of supply is
fundamentally determined by GEOLOGY not by economic cycles or market-actor
behaviour.

I am posting extensively about this on the Crashlist, and the Crashlist
archive is open. The url is:

Mark