On 2/15/11 4:06 PM, dave x wrote:
left' (now old). I had also been doing a lot of research into Heidegger's
theoretical background which of course led to Husserl and the whole austrian
philosophical tradition. I did a lot of reading on the foundations of logic
and mathematics and eventually discovered the real history of the vienna
circle and the unity of science movement. This then eventually led to my
adoption of a naturalist perspective as one might suspect. I should warn
however that philosophically I am simply a well read amateur and autodidact.
All of this is for me a hobby and an obsession.
-dave (ex-Heideggerean, ex-Christian, and Marxist).

I was never into Heidegger but as a philosophy major at the New School in the mid-60s, I studied with Aaron Gurwitsch who was considered the leading authority on Husserl. I also studied with Hans Jonas, who was considered something of a disciple of Heidegger. As an undergrad, I studied with Heinrich Bluecher who was married to Hannah Arendt and shared her Heideggerian leanings.

I found philosophy pretty easy to put behind me when the war in Vietnam was becoming more and more intense. You know what Marx said. Understand... world... task... change...