Yeah well, in this period a snake oil salesman and con artist named
William "Big Bill" Rockefeller lived openly with three women and
mocked churches as places only peasants would frequent causing his
wife and son to become scandalized by him, they being staunch
revivalists.  The one thing young John D took from his father,
however, was his sobriety, which he taught him was necessary-as with
the card shark-in order to successfully carry out his scams.  "Dr.
Livingston", a name he was forced to take to stay ahead of the law and
creditors, was long lived like his son living into his 90s and dying
in 1907.  His cronies would be amazed when he tried to tell them his
eldest son was the richest man in the world.

One of his younger brothers, Frank, unlike his two older brothers
involved in the oil business, did not buy his way out of the Civil War
and was wounded therein, something he never ceased having contempt for
them for until he died in 1917.
-taken from Ron Chernow's "Titan"