 From: Louis Proyect <l...@panix.com>
To: Mr. Goodman <godisamethod...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, July 2, 2012 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Marxism] Farber replies to Links review of his Cuba book

On 7/2/12 6:00 PM, glparrama...@greenleft.org.au wrote:

> Sam Farber replies to Chris Slee's critical review of his latest book.
> Join the discussion at http://links.org.au/node/2934
>
> Slee's review can be found at http://links.org.au/node/2911

I'll bet anybody that Farber won't respond to my comment:

Nice to see Farber engage with his critics on the Internet. This is something
of a first. I see that he writes: "It is quite clear that by the early to
mid-sixties the Cuban leaders had succeeded in establishing a version of the
system that ruled in the USSR with a one-party state bureaucracy controlling
all of the social, political and economic life of the country without
independent trade unions, the right to strike or civil and political liberties."

We all know that the USSR used to confine dissidents in psychiatric hospitals,
but did Cuba? Farber told an interviewer in New Politics
(http://nova.wpunj.edu/newpolitics/issue35/farber35.htm):

NP: In the 1970s and 1980s, the Soviets used psychiatric hospitals as a means
of clamping down on dissent.

SF: There was that in Cuba, too, particularly in the 1960s and 1970s.

I have researched this question thoroughly and found no evidence of this. Maybe
Farber can back up his claims with the facts.

http://greenhouse.economics.utah.edu/mailman/options/marxism/godisamethodist%40yahoo.com