It's quite simple really, as it boils down to :

a) The Swedish government will guarantee that Assange will not be deported to the US
or
b) The Swedish gov. will not give any guarantees that Assange will not be subject to deportation to the US.

Assange has made it clear that he is willing to go to Sweden PRO*VIDED he is given assurances he will not be deported.

For my part, I am perplexed by the Swe resoldish gov.'s refusal to guarantee there will be no extradition to the US.

The merits and demerits of Sweden's Sexual assault charges are one thing, Assange's deportation to the US are another.

The whole "diplomatic incident" is heading for a resolution : Assange will stand trial in Stockholm but will not be deported to the US. Until this agreement is reached (after the US 2012 election ???) Assange will not budge.

And any court in Stockholm that will hear the charges of sexual assault will sentence Assange to a maximum of six months in prison, but actually this will be a suspended sentence, or perhaps the Australian will be ordered to perform community service. The sexual assault charges are related to Assange having sex with two Wikileaks volunteers who later acknowledged that sex did happen but that it was not "entirely consensual". A Swedish court sentencing Assange to more than a year in prison would be really bizzare, so that Assange's refusal to be tried in Sweden is a strong indicator of his fear of being deported to the US, a country whose fascistic tendencies are growing ever more notorious.

I must end this mail by stating that I am a Feminist and that any power structure that oppresses women (or men for that matter) is unacceptable.
*