On 5/22/14 11:48 AM, DW wrote:
A very moving and sad essay on why the amazing salmon fishery needs those
big old growth forests. As someone who regularly fished these same waters
10 or so years ago, it really hurts to see how the voracious forest
industry has made the Forest Service a fiefdom to their board of directors.

David

I should add that the Tongass National Forest is not only necessary for the survival of salmon; it is also a source of the wood used in the world's greatest guitars. It is tragic that the land is owned by native peoples whose tribal leaders have acquiesced in clearcutting since the timber industry pays them off. There's an excellent documentary on the topic that I reviewed a while back:

http://louisproyect.org/2013/11/12/musicwood/

You can watch it on Fandor, a subscription streaming service like Netflix but geared to the cognoscenti:

http://www.fandor.com/films/musicwood
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu