(The HDP referred to below is a left social democratic party, the BDP a Kurdish rights party. Their alliance has attracted smaller, more radical groups. I may be wrong but it sounds like a promising development--a Turkish SYRIZA so to speak.)

The main supporters of the current government—mostly shopkeepers, small-scale manufacturers, and workers in precarious sectors with a low level of education—focus on the extent to which their daily needs and demands have been taken into consideration and met, rather than looking at the democratic procedures involved, the legality of the actions taken, or whether or not corruption was involved. The same supporters of the government remember very well the times before the AKP came to power, and that the laws and regulations of that era were the results of a very different mindset, the expressions of another social class. The bureaucracy of that state, with its corresponding media and judiciary, were under the control of this other class. In these preceding decades, corruption also used to be endemic, along with countless extra-legal executions; current supporters of the AKP have not forgotten how much they used to be ostracized and degraded. Let me emphasize this one more time: when we are talking about polarization, we are actually talking about two differing rationalities, two ways of experiencing the world, two divergent forms of subjectivity, two different affective economies, and finally, two different sources of legitimacy. In this context, it is imperative to draw attention to the political perspective of the Halkların Demokratik Partisi (HDP) as a way to overcome the stranglehold of this dichotomy.

From Revelation to Construction: The Possibility of Alternative Politics

The singular subjectivity of the HDP/BDP can be described by the confluence of the struggle for equality and freedom under the universal maxim “to claim my right is my prerogative,” and the concrete historical experience of social exclusion and deprivation of this right. While referencing similar precedents, the HDP/BDP counters the expectation to renounce its memory and abdicate its rights in the name of a fake social peace. Instead, the movement puts its voice and body unwaveringly into the public arena, and claiming the ground to mutually defend the rights of all. From the vantage point of sovereign codes, experiences, and ways of knowing, this voice may sound like “much ado about nothing.” Nevertheless, the HDP today is endeavoring to make its demands resonate on universal grounds while rendering them negotiable, and also to take other marginalized demands seriously by inviting the aggregation of the multitude on a wider basis.

full: http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/17832/between-two-rationalities_the-possibility-of-an-al
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu