On 6/18/14 1:10 PM, DW via Marxism wrote:
Louis, it's quite well established how a carcinogen and a tumor relate
medically. Both modern science and medical statistics (the latter is how
they proved conclusively that tobacco is carcinogenic but now they have the
actual mechanisms involved).

That is not true whatsoever. I suggest you have a look at Robert N. Proctor's "Cancer Wars: How Politics Shapes What We Know And Don't Know About Cancer" that has a chapter on the problem of linking environmental factors to cancer. I have tried to keep up with the literature ever since I worked as a database administrator at Sloan-Kettering in the mid 1980s. When I was there, I read Samuel S. Epstein "The Politics of Cancer", a book with a somewhat different angle than Proctor's. Both are very good.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-many-cancers-are-caused-by-the-environment/

The old two percent estimate for environmentally induced cancers is still commonly used – despite advances in modern cancer biology.

New areas of cancer research are focusing on the potential for pollutants to interact with one another and with genetic factors. Carcinogens can act by damaging DNA, disrupting hormones, inflaming tissues, or switching genes on or off.

Also, exposure to hormonally active agents during critical periods of human development – particularly in the womb or during childhood – may trigger cancer later in life. For example, the risk of breast cancer could be influenced by exposures during puberty.

All these elements make it tricky to calculate the magnitude of environmentally induced cancers.

Scientists now know that getting cancer is like being attacked by a multi-headed monster: How can you really be sure which part did the most damage?

Schettler said “we now know from cancer biology that multiple interacting factors” are involved so it’s impossible to assign percentages to certain causes.

“It’s really important that we understand the limits of this notion. We have to be humbled by this and know that our estimates may be way off,” he said.

Margaret Kripke, a professor at University of Texas' M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and co-author of the President’s Cancer Panel report, said the idea that cancer biologists can put a number on the environmental component of cancer is fraught with limitations.

She uses the example of a person who is genetically predisposed to lung cancer, but also smokes and lives in an area with high air pollution. If this person develops cancer, it is almost always attributed to smoking because almost 90 percent of lung cancer deaths are caused by tobacco. But researchers can't simply dismiss the remaining 10 percent. The way these fractions are teased apart is crucial, and important contributors are easily overlooked by limitations in study design.

There is substantial evidence that synergism between two different exposures can cause some cancers. Asbestos, for example, enhances the carcinogenicity of tobacco smoke, so the rate of lung cancer was especially high among people who smoked and also were exposed to asbestos in their workplaces.

The major reason that it’s so difficult to pin down how many cancers are due to environmental factors is that studies that allow epidemiologists to link human cancers to an environmental pollutant are rare opportunities.

Scientists need a setting where they can be absolutely certain about what and when people were exposed to something, and then be able to follow up with the patients many years later, since cancer takes decades to develop. Yet this is hardly ever possible, said Dr. Richard Jackson, former director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Environmental Health.

Humans aren't lab rats; they tend to move around, so they don't know what they were exposed to, said Jackson, who is now a UCLA professor. Also, tracking systems for environmental exposures and chemicals are inadequate.

(clip)

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu