Anyone given over to supplements (and who hasn't been, at some time) has to watch this whole hilarious expose, right to the end. No one apparently can do it quite like Oliver:

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/watch-john-olivers-latest-epic-rant-hilariously-nails-dr-oz-and-supplement-industry?akid=11947.150648.gxeBeq&rd=1&src=newsletter1005949&t=3
Personal Health
AlterNet <http://alternet.org> / /By/ /Janet Allon <http://www.alternet.org/authors/janet-allon>/

WATCH as John Oliver's Latest Epic Rant Hilariously Nails Dr. Oz and the Supplement Industry

"We're all looking for flowery language from our physicians."
/
June 23, 2014 /  |

Look, even John Oliver can admit that Dr. Oz is a terrifically good-looking man. "Any seat Dr. Oz is in is the hot seat," Oliver cracked about the TV huckster's turn being grilled last week in a Senate hearing about the dietary supplement industry.

Oprah's favorite doctor admitted during the hearing that his blatant peddling of "miracle weight loss" products is just a tad bit overblown in the hearing, though he still managed to make a number of questionable assertions, like, "No one is claiming magic" (actually, he has claimed magic a number of times,) and admitted he sometimes uses flowery language to appeal to his audience.

"Yes," retorted Oliver. "We're all looking for flowery language from our physicians."

Oliver's Sunday night rant about the dietary supplement industry, clocking in at 16:25 minutes, was quite possibly his most epic rant yet. It started with Oz ("Name me one case where a man named Oz claimed mystical powers and led people astray") and moved from there to the deplorably unregulated and staggeringly profitable dietary supplement industry. Full of both facts and cracks (fact: Since 1994, the dietary supplement industry has grown from a $4 billion industry to a $32 billion industry), Oliver hammered away brilliantly exposing the "shockingly overrated" and sometimes dangerous claims of the purveyors of supplements.

No doubt supplements are very popular. "More people wrote to their congressmen about dietary supplements than about the Vietnam War," the English comedian informs. But do people really know what they are getting when they buy and take these "magic" pills?

Watch this rant, both terrifically informative and hilariously entertaining

---
is active.
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu