I have read Binh's recent article
(http://notgeorgesabra.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/selective-internationalism-an-activist-disorder/)
 on the relation between Palestine and Syria and saw a statistic from FP that
more than 700 people have been killed in Syria between Thursday and Friday
(http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/07/21/overlooked_syrian_conflict_hits_new_death_toll_record?utm_content=buffer89172&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

Even facts like how Assad has substantially displaced more Palestinians than
Israel has this year tend to be interpreted as apologetic for Israel.

Fortunately, I had found this amazing line that seemed to really convey why the
Palestinian struggle is famous in a recent article by Adam shatz.. This
explanation can't be easily characterized as whitewashing Israel:

"Do you know why we are so famous?" Mahmoud Darwish asks the Israeli writer
Helit Yeshurun inPalestine as Metaphor. "It's because you are our enemy. The
interest in the Palestinian question flows from the interest in the Jewish
question…. It's you they're interested in, not me!… So we have the misfortune
of having an enemy, Israel, with so many sympathizers in the world, and we have
the good fortune that our enemy is Israel, since Jews are the center of the
world. You have given us our defeat, our weakness, our renown." As Darwish
suggests, this concern for the Palestinians is not a matter of anti-Semitism,
as Israel supporters claim, so much as it is a reflection of self-absorption:
the Palestinians are important to the West because, through their oppression by
Israeli Jews, they have become characters in a Western narrative."

(I encourage you to read the full article. We should have more writers on the
region like Adam Shatz, and less of Chris Hedges and Robert Fisk (and plenty
others in zmag, counterpunch) who view the Middle East as a geopolitical entity
that revolves around America.)

I'm afraid by the time the Syrian question becomes popular, all Syrians would
be dead already. And it will stay unpopular for as long as the players involved
aren't Israeli Jews or Westerners* as Mahmoud Darwich, in the usual Palestinian
acerbic wit, demonstrates.

http://m.thenation.com/article/180663-writers-or-missionaries

*As western jihadists going to fight in Syria garner more discussion in western
papers of record and media than the victims of the war
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu