On Aug 19, 2014, at 8:17 PM, Andrew Pollack via Marxism wrote:

> The blogosphere is annoyingly full of people trumpeting their
> self-satisfied, "shocking" discovery that Ferguson and other area cops got
> training in Israel. The news that Israel has been training cops from all
> over the US is several years old. (None of these blogonauts seem to have
> any sense of why Israel in particular specializes in military training,
> weaponry, security and other related industries -- any more than they
> understand why it's also a world leader in software, pharmaceuticals, etc.
> The answer in both cases is its position as niche manufacturing and R&D
> platform for US and EU capital: think Silicon Valley transplanted as a
> colony to the Middle East).
>
> No-one, as far as I've seen, has brought forth any evidence that this
> training is in any way correlated with the murder of Michael Brown or any
> other such cases.
>
> By the same token some in the blogosphere are claiming that the dumping by
> Homeland Security of millions of dollars of equipment onto local police
> forces is also in some way responsible for Michael Brown's death.

"“Israel is the Harvard of antiterrorism,” said former US Capitol Police Chief
Terrance W. Gainer, who now serves as the US Senate Sergeant-at-Arms. Cathy
Lanier, the Chief of the Washington DC Metropolitan Police, remarked, “No
experience in my life has had more of an impact on doing my job than going to
Israel.” “One would say it is the front line,” Barnett Jones, the police chief
of Ann Arbor, Michigan, said of Israel. “We’re in a global war.”

"Karen Greenberg, the director of Fordham School of Law’s Center on National
Security and a leading expert on terror and civil liberties [but maybe just
another ignorant blogosphere troll, in the eyes of Andrew Pollack], said the
Israeli influence on American law enforcement is so extensive it has bled into
street-level police conduct. “After 9/11 we reached out to the Israelis on many
fronts and one of those fronts was torture,” Greenberg told me. “The training
in Iraq and Afghanistan on torture was Israeli training. There’s been a huge
downside to taking our cue from the Israelis and now we’re going to spread that
into the fabric of everyday American life? It’s counter-terrorism creep. And
it’s exactly what you could have predicted would have happened.”"

http://exiledonline.com/max-blumenthal-how-israeli-occupation-forces-bahraini-monarchy-guards-trained-u-s-police-for-coordinated-crackdown-on-occupy-protests/

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu