On 9/16/14 9:01 AM, Marv Gandall wrote:

Thanks. I wasn’t familiar with Y-K’s criticism and will keep his
“health warning” in mind when reading Landis’ material. But I didn’t
see anything in his Al Jazeera piece yesterday which seemed to
warrant your description of it as a “joke”. What statement(s) did you
regard as over the top?

I thought it might have been obvious from what I excerpted in my initial reply:

> Administration efforts over the past three years to cobble together
> an effective pro-Western fighting force from fragments of the Syrian
> opposition and their rival regional sponsors have been spectacular
> failures.

I didn't say much more about these "efforts" because I thought comrades were familiar with my analysis. Here's a bit of it:

http://louisproyect.org/2014/04/08/seymour-hersh-as-dorian-gray/

To start with, he [Seymour Hersh] likens Barack Obama to George W. Bush as if the rhetoric about “red lines” were to be taken seriously. Hersh believes that he was held back by “military leaders who thought that going to war was both unjustified and potentially disastrous.” I often wonder if people like Hersh bother to read the NY Times or—worse—read it and choose to ignore it.

In fact there was zero interest in a large-scale intervention in Syria in either civilian or military quarters. All this is documented in a NY Times article from October 22nd 2013, written when the alarums over a looming war with Syria were at their loudest, that stated “from the beginning, Mr. Obama made it clear to his aides that he did not envision an American military intervention, even as public calls mounted that year for a no-fly zone to protect Syrian civilians from bombings.” The article stressed the role of White House Chief of Staff Dennis McDonough, who had frequently clashed with the hawkish Samantha Power. In contrast to Power and others with a more overtly “humanitarian intervention” perspective, McDonough “who had perhaps the closest ties to Mr. Obama, remained skeptical. He questioned how much it was in America’s interest to tamp down the violence in Syria.” In other words, the White House policy was and is allowing the Baathists and the rebels to exhaust each other in an endless war, just as was White House policy during the Iran-Iraq conflict.

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu