Published at:
http://therussianreader.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/democracy-day/

“Whatever anybody says, especially our foes from abroad, both you and I
know that we live in the most democratic country, in Russia.”
— Georgy Poltavchenko

This past Sunday, September 14, was declared “Democracy Day” in Petersburg,
Europe’s fourth largest city. What this meant on paper was that the city’s
Kremlin-appointed governor, Georgy Poltavchenko, swept to an overwhelming
victory in his first “real” gubernatorial race, while ruling United Party
crushed the opposition in elections to the city’s neighborhood councils.
Then the victors celebrated “democracy” with a pop concert on Palace Square.

What this meant in practice was that Poltavchenko’s only real challenger
had been peremptorily “filtered” from the race two months ago, and the
melancholic KGB nonentity was left to face a quartet of stick-figure
opponents almost no one had heard of before; the United Russia machine
pulled out all the stops doing what it loves best—brazenly rigging
elections and just as flagrantly cracking down on anyone who challenges its
right to do that; and a band of foreign fascists, ultra-right-wingers, and
Stalinist clowns, masquerading as “international monitors,” showed up to
rubber stamp this bloody farce. No wonder Robert Mugabe backs Russia.

I received the following letter from a friend whose son celebrated
“Democracy Day” by serving as a member of the electoral commission at a
polling station in central Petersburg. I have translated the letter and
published it here with her permission, but I have changed the names of
people and places to protect “Dmitry,” “Lyuba,” and the author from further
persecution and harassment.

**********

I don’t know whether you are aware of yesterday’s elections in Petersburg.
They were completely hellish.

[Our son] Dmitry was a voting member of the electoral commission at Polling
Station No. 86, on Austerlitz Street. His girlfriend Lyuba had the same
status at Polling Station No. 85, which was in the same building. A bunch
of Dmitry’s friends worked in the same capacity at various other polling
stations.

The chairs of the commissions hid from them all the time. On Saturday, the
day before the elections, Dmitry went to his polling station, where he
immediately faced aggression and intimidation: “We’ll have you removed from
the polling station,” “Don’t you dare photograph anything,” “We’ll settle
your hash later,” and so on. Dmitry demanded to be shown the certificate
for receipt of the envelopes containing the absentee ballots. The
chairwoman started screaming that this was a provocation. Saturday ended
with the chairwoman turning Dmitry over to the police for allegedly
photographing the voter lists.

David was taken to the eighty-third police precinct on the Old Barge
Channel, where he was immediately released because the arrest had been
illegal. I went to the precinct to get him.

Then came Sunday [election day]. Right away in the morning, Dmitry wrote to
us that there had been a bunch of violations; he was again being
threatened, and so forth. He was sent out with a mobile ballot box to make
the rounds of the old women [pensioners confined to their homes], and while
he was out, the chairwoman sent someone with two unregistered ballot boxes
to a hospital. At the end of the day, the ballot boxes came back with
twenty additional votes that had appeared out of nowhere, as if people had
been admitted to the hospital the day before and were immediately
registered as voters at this polling station. It was like this with the
ballot boxes at nearly every polling station: two hundred votes apiece,
cast by completely unknown people, ended up in them.

In the afternoon, I brought Dmitry coffee, because he was afraid to leave
the polling station. Lyuba went out to have tea, and while she was out, two
ballot boxes were carried away from her polling station: she was informed
of this after the fact.

When I arrived at the polling station, they also made as if they were going
to arrest me: “Who the hell are you? His mama?” and so on. I snapped at
them and told them they were shameless. Dmitry and I went out onto the
porch. Some security guards—not cops—came out after us, as if they were
keeping track of us. They smoked and swore. We remarked to them that both
smoking and swearing were administrative violations. They cussed us out.
When Dmitry started filming them with his telephone, they began pushing us
down the stairs, trying to snatch the telephone from Dmitry. They got the
telephone from him, and Dmitry hurt his hand. (Also, one of the guards got
doused with coffee, meaning that Dmitry was left without coffee.) We called
the police. When they heard us doing that, the guard cooled their heels and
gave back the telephone, but they had erased the video.

Then a polizei came, and David and I filed an assault complaint. The
polizei said he would charge the men with an administrative violation for
smoking.

I told the chairwoman that hopefully she was being well paid for
everything, because otherwise I saw no point to this mayhem. To which she
replied that she was glad I was concerned about her welfare.

But it got really gnarly after the polls closed. We got reports from
everywhere about [opposition electoral commission members and observers]
being removed from polling stations during the counting of the votes. When
Lyuba’s turn came and she refused to leave the polling station voluntarily,
the police were summoned and told that she had spit on a local cop. Lyuba
was taken away, and like Dmitry the day before, she was just released. She
has filed a bunch of complaints against everyone.

At Dmitry’s polling station, on the contrary, they didn’t start counting
the votes for four hours: they were supposedly verifying the voter lists.
However, the chair of the Shostakovich Municipal District Electoral
Commission, a man who weighs over a hundred kilograms, would come up to
Dmitry and whisper in his ear, “I will find you and kill you.” He did this
several times. Dmitry was alone against twenty gangsters who insulted and
threatened him.

Dmitry called us and said he was being threatened, that they were trying to
remove him from the polling station for videotaping and interfering with
the commission’s work. I telephoned GOLOS (in general, I spent all of
Saturday and Sunday phoning and writing everywhere). The people at GOLOS [a
Russian electoral rights NGO] told me I should go to the polling station.
At one in the morning, Grigory [her husband] and I ran to Austerlitz Street.

Just as we got there, Dmitry rang to say he was being forcibly dragged from
the polling station. A police jeep was already parked outside. Dmitry had
also called the police and told them he was being unlawfully removed, but
they hadn’t shown up, or rather, they showed up to arrest him.

I was talking to Dmitry on the phone, and he was yelling, “Don’t you dare
arrest me, you’re breaking the law.”

The door opened, and Grigory and I saw a cop dragging Dmitry from the
polling station. I ran up to the cop and told him he was breaking the law
and so on. To make a long story short, Dmitry was again being taken to the
eighty-third police precinct. We headed there.

Before leaving, I asked the cop a question.

“Look me straight in the eyes and tell me you aren’t ashamed.”

“I am just doing my job,” he said.

“But what about the law?” Grigory asked.

The cop began to walk away.

“Do you believe in God?” Grigory shouted to him as he walked away.

“Yes,” the cop firmly replied.

Well, then we arrived at the police station. Dmitry was almost immediately
released. He also dashed off a bunch of complaints.

We got home at four in the morning. Dmitry ate and drank for the first time
in a twenty-hour hellish day. Then we were online until six in the morning
watching as his electoral commission kept putting stuff up and erasing and
rearranging it. They didn’t even have the obligatory large summary vote
tally.

Dmitry’s friends were practically removed from all the polling stations
[where they served as electoral commission members and observers]. One
friend, Eduard Dubinsky, who was a candidate for the municipal council in
the Kamenka district, was arrested for allegedly resisting the police. He
spent the night in jail, and the next day a court sentenced him to a five
hundred ruble fine. So Dmitry got off lightly. But we are waiting for

P.S. We also found out that there were around two hundred ballots in the
unaccounted ballot boxes at Dmitry’s polling station that were secretly
sent out and brought back from the hospital, but it is impossible to verify
who filled them out and how. Twenty-one of these ballots were allegedly
filled out by people who had been admitted to the hospital the day before.
It is unclear how they could be entered onto the voter lists. In fact, it
couldn’t have been done legally. Plus, now Dmitry has checked and spotted
the fact that another one hundred additional voters appeared up out of
nowhere. He found this while looking over the final report. Meaning that
approximately three hundred fake votes were added to the tally at his
polling station. That is roughly fifty percent added to the total. Now I
understand why the commission was so aggressive and didn’t allow the
results to be known, and whey they were looking for an excuse to kick
Dmitry out.
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu