On Oct 10, 2014, at 7:35 AM, Michael Karadjis <mkarad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Marv Gandall via Marxism
>
>> Former ambassador to Syria, Robert Ford, reveals to FP that such assistance
>> has been conditional on the support of the two left-wing Kurdish parties -
>> the PYD in Syria and PKK in Turkey - for the joint effort by the US and
>> Turkish governments and the Free Syrian Army (FSA) to overthrow the Assad
>> regime in Damascus. Despite having designated the PKK as a “terrorist”
>> organization, secret talks between the US and the left-wing Kurdish parties
>> to this end have been held over the past two years.
>
> That isn’t the way I read either the FP article or the secret correspondence
> at its end.

[…]

> I read nothing about the US conditioning support to the PYD on its support
> "for the joint effort by the US and Turkish governments and the Free Syrian
> Army (FSA) to overthrow the Assad regime in Damascus." First, that would
> require the US to have such a goal. In FP, Ford says "The main thing is we
> believed there needed to be a political solution that had to be negotiated
> (ie, the eternal and only US view of the Syrian crisis). The Kurds needed to
> be involved in that, even if we didn't think the PYD was fully representative
> of the Kurds. We wanted to understand why they continued to work with the
> regime and why they were hostile to Kurdish activists in the KNC."
>
> "To know why they continued to work with the regime" is different to
> demanding they support the overthrow of the regime. As noted, the PKK/PYD
> deny the accusation in any case.

Yes, you’re correct, Michael. This morning’s Wall Street Journal supports your
view. It reports, probably with some exaggeration, on “harsh criticism from
Washington” and a “dangerous rift” between the US and Turkey having opened
concerning the overthrow of the Assad regime which is reflected in the Erdogan
government’s inaction on Kobani - apart from the long-standing hostility of the
Turkish state to the PKK/PYD, of course.

Turkey Sits Out Battle in Syrian Border City
Ankara Chooses Not to Intervene in Fight Between Islamic State, Kurdish Militia
By YAROSLAV TROFIMOV
Wall Street Journal
October 10 2014

Turkey’s unwillingness to intervene in the battle over a predominantly Kurdish
Syrian city on its border has earned the country harsh criticism from
Washington, exposing a dangerous rift over how the two allies want to tackle
Islamic State’s rise.

After more than three weeks of fighting for Kobani and its surroundings, the
extremist group edged closer to seizing the city from Syrian Kurdish militia
fighters on Thursday. By nighttime, city officials said the militants had
managed to gain control of about a quarter of Kobani despite 19 U.S.-led
airstrikes in the area in two days. The battle has unfolded within sight of
Turkish tanks parked at the border.

In an effort to find a common approach on how and against whom the war in Syria
should be waged, the Obama administration’s coordinator of the campaign against
Islamic State, retired Marine Gen. John Allen, went to Turkey on Thursday to
meet with senior officials.

But after a first day of talks in Ankara between Gen. Allen and Turkish
officials, including Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, the State Department
announced no breakthrough on issues dividing the two countries and indicated in
a statement that discussions were likely to continue for some time. A joint
military planning team will visit Ankara next week, U.S. officials said.

The U.S., which started airstrikes on Islamic State following the group’s rapid
advances in Iraq this summer, sees the militant organization as the main foe in
an unsavory neighborhood.

But Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has staked his international
standing on ousting Syrian ruler Bashar al-Assad, views the Assad regime’s
brutality as the root cause of Islamic State’s rise. He is pressing the U.S.
and its allies to commit to fighting Mr. Assad with the same vigor as they are
fighting Islamic State.

“The government is not going to budge on this,” a Turkish official said of
Ankara’s demand for a strategy shift. “As long as you have Assad there, with
his policies of dropping barrel bombs, chemical weapons, this vicious cycle is
going to continue on and on with more groups, different groups, coming in.”

Turkey also has little love lost for the Syrian Kurdish militias under attack
in Kobani. These militias are affiliated with the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or
PKK, the Kurdish separatist movement that the U.S. classifies as a terrorist
group. Though PKK is currently engaged in peace talks with Ankara, it battled
the Turkish state for more than 30 years, for much of that time with the Syrian
regime’s support.

“The U.S. and Turkey are fundamentally not on the same page when it comes to
the Islamic State’s threat in Syria,” said Frederic Hof, the Obama
administration’s former special adviser on Syrian transition who is now a
senior fellow at the Atlantic Council think tank.

Both U.S. and Turkish officials have warned Kobani’s fall to Islamic State is
imminent.

Kobani is the smallest of the Kurdish-held enclaves along Turkey’s more than
500-mile-long frontier with Syria, and the Islamic State has been making steady
advances on the city in recent days.

Kurdish militiamen said recent air raids by the U.S.-led coalition have helped
their defense.

But street-to-street fighting continued Thursday as the militants renewed
efforts to seize the city’s center, said Idres Nassan, an official for the
Kobani regional government.

Turkey has moved tanks and other armored units to an area just across the
border from Kobani, and its parliament recently approved the government’s
request for expanded war powers to counter Islamic State.

But on Thursday, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said ground
operations by Turkish forces to save Kobani wouldn’t stop Islamic State’s
advance anyway.

“It is not realistic to expect Turkey to conduct a ground operation on its
own,” he said, adding that Turkey was in talks with allies and would “play its
part” once there was agreement to take action.

Part of the reason for this reluctance is fear of how the Islamic State, also
known as ISIS, would respond, analysts say.

With much of the Turkish-Syrian border controlled by Islamic State, the
militant group is capable of orchestrating a string of terrorist attacks that
would bring Turkey’s crucial tourism industry to its knees and endanger the
economic advances that have given Mr. Erdogan his popular legitimacy.

“Terrifying people is ISIS’s way of fighting. People just flee when they hear
ISIS is coming,” says Ozgur Korkmaz, a columnist at Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper.

“They can retaliate with car bombs, explosions. We have had terrorism in the
past, and it can always happen again. This is a real concern.”

Turkey’s Kurdish minority is outraged.

At least 26 people have died across the country in three days of protests
against Ankara’s inaction in Kobani. Authorities have had to deploy tanks and
impose curfew in several cities.

Mr. Erdogan expressed “the deepest sorrow” on Thursday over the deaths but cast
the unrest as an attempt to undermine Turkish peace and stability rather than a
response to the Kobani crisis.

The talks Thursday between Gen. Allen and Mr. Davutoglu touched on the
formation of the international coalition to fight Islamic State forces and
steps to strengthen the moderate rebels opposing the Assad regime in Syria, but
U.S. officials did not mention the possible creation of a buffer zone between
Turkey and Syria, a key Turkish request. While Turkey is pushing for steps to
increase pressure on the Assad regime, the U.S. officials said in the
discussions that strengthening the moderate Syrian rebels is essential, while
they have estimated that process could take months.

Both sides agreed to continue “dynamic and deepening” bilateral conversations
to provide military support, counter foreign fighters and financing, and
provide humanitarian assistance, in addition to delegitimizing Islamic State’s
rhetoric. Gen. Allen and his deputy, Brett McGurk, recognized sacrifices they
said Turkey has made in the crisis and emphasized “the historic and
unbreakable” partnership between the two allies.

Ankara’s reluctance to save Kobani is hardly surprising.

The Kurdish militias there are essentially a Syrian branch of the PKK, the
traditional enemy of the Turkish state. The group and its leader, Abdullah
Ocalan, had been nurtured by the Syrian regime.

Back in 1998, this support even caused Turkey to mass troops on the border and
threaten war against Damascus.

Though Mr. Ocalan—now in Turkish jail—has been holding peace talks with Mr.
Erdogan’s administration since last year, the group remains a potent threat.

Some Turkish politicians still argue it is a bigger peril than Islamic State.

A prominent member of Mr. Erdogan’s party, former deputy prime minister
Emrullah Isler, caused a stir this week with a tweet, that he subsequently
deleted, asserting that the PKK is more brutal than Islamic State.

Considering this history, arming, directly or indirectly, the PKK-affiliated
Syrian Kurds in Kobani isn't something that Ankara can do lightly.

“Currently, it is not possible for any government to give antitank weapons to a
movement that they are fighting. Putting Kobani first, before the peace
process, is putting the cart before the horse,” said Hugh Pope, director of the
Turkey and Cyprus project at the International Crisis Group think tank and a
former correspondent for The Wall Street Journal.

Before offering any help, Turkey also seeks to extract from the Syrian Kurds a
commitment to join the moderate Syrian opposition against Mr. Assad.

“The Kurds have been conspicuously absent from the battlefield against the
Assad regime. Turkey wants the Kurds to join the fight because it knows that
the PKK guys are pretty good fighters,” said Soner Cagaptay, director of the
Turkish research program at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

A defeat for the Syrian Kurds in Kobani, however, could come at considerable
costs for Turkey—and not just in terms of American outrage.

The PKK has threatened to pull out of the peace process if Kobani falls,
something that would be a catastrophic setback to Mr. Erdogan’s efforts to
resolve his country’s long-standing conflict with the Kurds.

The crisis in Kobani has also strained Turkey’s relationship with its main
regional ally, the Kurdish regional government in northern Iraq.

Though the leftist PKK and the conservative, pro-American Kurdish leaders in
Iraq had long been rivals, the two Kurdish movements forged a united front
against the Islamic State. Syrian Kurds provided crucial reinforcements that
checked the Islamist fighters’ advances into Iraqi Kurdistan this summer.

“Even at the street level, Iraqi Kurds now are beginning to see the PKK as
protectors of the Kurds, and Turkey as siding with ISIS and wanting Kobani to
fall,” says Cale Salih, a Kurdish-Iraqi analyst whose father is the former
prime minister of Iraqi Kurdistan.

—Ayla Albayrak, Yeliz Candemir, Felicia Schwartz, Asa Fitch, and Adam Entous
contributed to this article.

Write to Yaroslav Trofimov at yaroslav.trofi...@wsj.com
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu