-----Original Message----- From: Andrew Pollack via Marxism

The ICG earlier this year issued a report which basically called the
Kurdish PYD collaborators with the Syrian regime who are only able to
govern the "autonomous areas" thanks to physical regime withdrawal but
continued funding. ICG also claims that the self-governance structures
everyone is raving about are PYD-appointed fronts; and that PYD repression
against opponents continues.

I put Arbour in the subject line because she was head of ICG at time of
this report (May 2014) http://www.crisisgroup.org/~/media/Files/Middle%20East%20North%20Africa/Iraq%20Syria%20Lebanon/Syria/151-flight-of-icarus-the-pyd-s-precarious-rise-in-syria.pdf

I don't think the issue is Louise Arbour. The report is by the ICG, which is a relatively level-headed group of pro-imperialist analysts. They produce well-researched analysis which, however, is obviously written from a particular point of view. I don't think they go out of their way to doctor facts but of course their spin is there.

The fact that the PYD is "only able to govern the "autonomous areas" thanks to physical regime withdrawal" is simply a statement of fact, but whether it is also due to "continued funding" by the regime, let alone low-level collaboration or even alliance, with the regime, as the report suggests, enters seriously into the area of interpretation and spin.

As the report shows, it was the PYD that led the uprising in 2004, and suffered fierce repression from the regime. When the uprising began in 2011, naturally they again tried to take over Kurdish regions. When the regime withdrew in mid-2012, was this because the regime loved the PYD or vice versa and they were entering into an alliance with each other?

No, the regime withdrew because it looked at a map, saw the Kurdish regions were the furthest thing away, the jihadist-controlled regions were the next furthest away, the FSA and other rebel controlled regions were much closer, including right under their noses in the major cities. By leaving the Kurds be, the regime could focus on the more immediate dangers.

Was the PYD complicit with the regime by accepting the withdrawal and trying to build its society, rather than sending its fighters to aid the resistance elsewhere? I don't that criticism is valid, though part of the bad blood between the FSA and PYD is due to that feeling. From the point of view of self-determination, you can't blame the Kurds for getting what they could in the circumstances. I guess you don't actively invite barrel bombs when you can avoid them for a while. The PYD knew very well they would come eventually, if Assad finished off everyone else.

The report also says the regime continued to pay salaries in the PYD controlled region. I know nothing about this, but I assume it is based on research. In some instances where the FSA has signed truces with the regime, the regime has agreed to pay salaries. What can we say about this? It is desperation. It is a question of tactics.

The report also makes a number of concrete accusations against the PYD for instances of collaboration with the regime, a more serious thing. Some of this seems anecdotal, some more solidly based. It does not appear to be of a systematic nature, but here and there, opportunistic.

Question: Is the PYD a perfect organisation that has NEVER DONE ANYTHING WRONG? Were the Bolsheviks? Is there such a thing?

In a recent discussion on the GL list, I warned against the tendency to suggest that the FSA were a huge (or tiny, whatever your fancy) morass of smugglers, warlords, swindlers, jihadist, US puppets, bandits, thieves etc, on account of the fact that the sheer anarchy of revolutionary situations, combined with the extraordinary level of counterrevolutionary regime violence, means that a significant number of violations absolutely do happen. If you make those kinds of sweeping generalisations then there has never been anyone worth supporting, ever.

I also made the opposite point: while we rightly look at the model of the Rojava revolution (above and beyond the fact that we should defend Kurdish self-determination even if they were run by Kurdish Black Hundreds), we need to avoid romanticisation, the complete opposite attitude to demonisation. The PYD has any number of skeletons in its closet as do most organisations which consist of human beings.

It is thus possible that some of what is in the report is right; but organisations in a revolutionary situation evolve based on realities on the ground. It seems to me the current active collaboration between the PYD/YPG and the FSA in Aleppo and Rojava represents a positive evolution for both forces. The real fraternisation on the ground occurring may hopefully break down some of the issues they previously had, including the problem of the Syrian opposition leadership having a view on Kurdish self-determination that is only barely better than that of the regime.

There is little doubt that at a political level the PYD is in advance of other sections of the Syrian resistance. Our support for the Syrian revolution has never depended on trying to find a perfect leftist leadership. We are well aware of the political problems of much of the leadership.

But that should not in any way affect solidarity with the people on the ground. Kobane is in immediate danger of genocide and is thus the key issue of this moment. However, Syrians are being barrel bombed into oblivion, massacred with ballistic missiles, MiG fighters, napalm, chlorine gas, besieged and starved, tortured to death in enormous numbers, all at the same time, still, right now.

In such circumstances, the tendency to be overly critical, in some leftist circles, of the FSA for various infringements on revolutionary morality (and here I am not just talking about the red-brown outright apologists for Assad), while overly romanticising the PYD/YPG, has the obvious problem that until the latest ISIS siege, Rojava was largely left alone and thus the levels of fascist violence imposed on it were not remotely at the level of those imposed on the rest of Syria by the regime; they thus had the space to build a new society and reduce violations to a minimum.

We had countless examples of revolutionary councils around Syria, with a great range of creative revolutionary activities and sometimes quite transformative structures; but when you're bombed, rocketed, besieged, starved, burnt, tortured every day and your entire society and town is reduced to rubble, there's not much to build a society with, and plenty of room for banditry etc.

Yet the decision of the FSA to join forces with the YPG to resist ISIS shows a revolutionary spirit that we have no right o be critical of from our comfort zones. Indeed, according to a couple of reports, a group of FSA fighters from Aleppo - where they are jointly besieged by the regime and ISIS while their allies are bombed by the US - managed to break through to Kobane to to further aid the YPG (ie, on top of the local FSA forces already on their side): https://www.facebook.com/groups/revolutionarysyria/permalink/712281322184901/

If the PYD has had to play some games with the regime to survive over time this is little different to the games the FSA has had to play with Turkey, Qatar, KSA etc. If sometimes they went beyond what is justifiable, then that is similar to various issues with the FSA etc.

For years the FSA has called for decent arms to help it defend its people from massive regime violence, especially manpads (shoulder-held anti-aircraft weapons) to prevent the regime's daily aerial massacre. Nothing of much use was ever forthcoming, mainly regular arms from local states and nothing at all from the US (until mid-2014, when it began to distribute a handful of anti-tank weapons to a handful of groups in the context of wanting to sue them against the jihadists).

For years the imperialist powers said they couldn't provide arms, using the BS excuse that such arms might get to the jihadists; and for years, a significant number of leftists parroted the same thing, except worse: the fact that any arms at all were getting through to help people fighting a genocidal tyranny was declared as evidence that the FSA were US puppets and sell-outs to imperialism and other such filth-talk. Brave western leftists love to try to "expose" that the FSA might have got a few more guns than they were supposed to have (according to these leftists' standards, presumably?). Meanwhile the FSA never called for imperialist troops and very rarely did some unit or individual even call for air-strikes; apart from weapons so they could fight themselves, the only thing they sometimes called for was a no-fly zone to defend some population centres against aerial slaughter. How safe and secure leftists would howl about that.

Now the PYD/YPG, quite rightly, demands advanced weapons so they can defend themselves against a heavily armed ISIS. Moreover, they completely understandably call for US air strikes against the advancing ISIS siege. Not that actual strikes have been of much help, though probably they have been better than nothing.

Who could argue with them? Who could stand up and denounce them as pro-imperialists or other such garbage as they fight to defend their very lives? Very few, and rightly so. But how many have a double standard as the FSA made similar calls for aid against 3 years of massacre? For those who don't have this double standard, you understand solidarity. For those who do - I simply can't imagine a greater degree of hypocrisy.

FOR MASSIVE SUPPLIES OF ADVANCED WEAPONRY TO THE FSA AND THE PYD/YPG!

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu