#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

These are certainly significant changes and it's no accident that these
reflect international trends, but I'm not sure how they "greatly altered
balance of forces between capital and labour."

In the case of the U.S., the political parties basically obtain legitimacy
for ruling class interests by recasting them into something that enough
participating voters can buy or, at least, buy in preference to what seems
to them to be a worse alternative.

It might be argued, perhaps, that the stronger labor movement we used to
have in this country meant that Democratic party's need to mediate
constituted a brake of sorts on how blatantly it pursued a capitalist
agenda.  But it always pursued that agenda. Perhaps it would be more
accurate to say that the changing balance of forces between capital and
labour contributed to these political party shifts, no?

Solidarity!
Mark L.