#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On Nov 14, 2014, at 8:33 AM, Michael Karadjis <mkarad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hagel has immediately clarified that that was essentially CNN misinformation,
> though, to be fair to CNN, probably a large part of it is simply journalists
> there too thick to really get it:
>
> Hagel Discounts Targeting Assad Now in Islamic State Fight
> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-13/hagel-discounts-expanding-islamic-state-fight-to-include-assad.html
>
> Hagel denied a CNN report yesterday that the administration is looking at a
> shift in tactics to include new actions against the Syrian regime.
> “There is no change, and there is no different direction,” Hagel said.

I’ve reread the CNN report, and it doesn’t anywhere suggest a “change” in US
policy is underway so much as a revival of the existing policy to remove Assad
through a negotiated settlement which would be accompanied by the integration
of some respectable pro-Western elements of the opposition into the regime. As
the report states: “Now officials and diplomats said Kerry has in recent months
intensified discussions with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Turkey and
Russia about the possibility of a diplomatic tract to transition al-Assad and
his inner circle out of power, while maintaining large parts of the regime and
institutions of the state.”

I’m not surprised to see the defence secretary denying there has been a change.
The Pentagon is very likely divided on where to concentrate the military effort
because of the political and military complexities surrounding the
intervention. Dempsey, for example, has publicly spoken out in favour of
strengthening the Iraq front. I’m equally no fan of CNN, but its headline did
refer to a strategy “review” and covered both sides of the debate in quite some
detail. There may not be a “formal” review of the strategy underway, according
to the deputy national security director, Ben Rhodes, but that leaves plenty of
room for an informal consensus to have emerged about a shift in tactics, based
on the testimony of most of those interviewed.

The report rings true to me because ISIS has created more favourable conditions
to bridge the differences between the outside powers, and made it more
imperative for the US to get Turkish boots on the ground, which seems to
require Assad’s removal or relegation to a figurehead as a precondition. This
may not at all be possible because the situation is so fraught with
contradictions, but this would not preclude the US from wishfully rethinking
its presently stumbling strategy.