#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Q: "There’s been press about the poor living conditions of foreign workers."
A: "Brand Dubai is about selling prestige and material luxury — Lamborghinis,
and David Beckham owning an island. That luxury tacitly depends on this
population of inferiors, but Brand Dubai doesn’t obscure its working practices
like the brand of the U.S. does, for example.

I really question this whole moral tourism, where travelers wag their fingers
at the locals. There’s something slightly repellent about that to me because if
you want to see people working in difficult conditions, there’s plenty of that
in the United States."

"Inferiors"? For fuck's sake.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/travel/joseph-oneill-on-dubai-a-place-in-formation.html?_r=0&referrer=