#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Excellent article (even if no doubt exaggerated for journalistic
reasons) - the sharp reality for those fighters in the 3-year long raw
intifada against the tyranny is that they have watched their families,
communities, cities and whole country get destroyed by
genocide-regime, got plenty of kind words (always mixed in
jihadist-baiting) from the "democratic" west but never a gun, fought
ISIS better than anyone else in the region did, but then watched as
the US intervened not only against ISIS but also against genuine rebel
groups as Assad's air-force.

And so the US air strikes are enough to turn some of them, howver much
they hate ISIS, to either supporting and defecting to ISIS, or at
least to doing ceasefires. And a generation of "left" conspiracists
and elitists pent the last 3 years denouncing these revolutionaries as
... US-orchestrated contras. Wow.

Here's another little report direct from a refugee camp (one of the
many round the region from this Syrian al-Nakbah) which hits home with
some of the same ponts:

Iyad el-Baghdadi on “Radicalisation”

by Ben Allinson-Davies

http://unfetteredfreedom.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/iyad-el-baghdadi-on-radicalisation
/
Via a compilation of tweets...
"We're hearing about more and more core Arab Spring activists
(espcially from Egypt) turning to radicalization and dying in Libya
and Syria. The latest: Omar Mustafa, ex-member of the April 6
Movement, campaigned for ElBaradei; died fighting with Islamists in
Libya. Their "war against radical Islam" is in fact increasing
radicalization.
I'm in a camp full of young Syrian refugees. It's very common to hear
them curse ISIS and admire ISIS in the same sentence. It's an
admiration of power, of success, even of revenge, perhaps. ISIS is
winning and some people admire winners whoever they are. A Syrian
young man here: "I can never live under ISIS but I respect the fact
that they're the only ones who didn't fight among themselves."
Another Syrian young man: "ISIS are khawarij but at least they managed
to exact revenge". I even met a Syrian-Lebanese young man here who
simultaneously admires Hezbollah and ISIS, I mean really. These Syrian
young men aren't ideological; many of them aren't even religious...
But they've been powerless all their lives and are in awe of whoever
can start from humble beginnings and become powerful. It's the ISIS
myth - that their success isn't the result of mass regional and
international incompetence, but divine intervention. My experience
here - at least in this camp - says that religious Muslims are in fact
the least radicalizable. It appears to me right now that the less
religious education you have, the more easily radicalizable you
potentially are.
Again: The rise of ISIS is a complex phenomenon so do NOT listen to
whoever tries to reduce it to single causes or single solutions. When
they fought the Arab Spring they ensured a Jihadist Disneyland.
Note: Please do not give yourself the right to comment upon these
young men's ideas and ordeals from your vantage point of privilege.
Please do not assume you'll understand what they think or what they've
been through. You'll never understand what they've been through. All
our theorizing about what causes radicalization is nothing to the
young man who lost his entire family back in Homs or Hama. The single
most important seed of radicalization among these Syrian young men
that I can sense is a deep desire for revenge.
If you're seriously serious about fighting radicalization you'd have
done something about Assad's massacres, so spare me the mock concern.
The most friendly, outgoing, cheerful Syrian young man in this asylum
camp is only cheerful until you ask him about his family. And I find
it distressing and very unjust that many people only care about these
young men in terms of how radicalizable they are. Really."
Iyad El-Baghdadi is a human rights activist, writer and entrepreneur,
who has contributed to the cause of freedom around the world since
2011. His website can be found here. Watch his speech at the Oslo
freedom forum: