#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Agree on both counts. Cohen is also right to single out the 1967 war as a
turning point, but not quite for the reason she mentions. Very few young Jewish
radicals I knew in university at the time were genuinely alarmed about their
own survival, as she suggests, or that of the all-conquering Israelis. But when
forced to choose between the new Palestinian movement which was rapidly winning
the support of the international left against the occupation and their own
sympathies for a “Jewish state”, which they continued to view through a
romantic haze, they decisively opted for the latter. Once embarked on that
trajectory, they moved farther and farther to the right which paralleled the
inevitable evolution of the Israeli state and society.