#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 12/12/14 8:47 AM, James Creegan via Marxism wrote:
There are big and important differences between these two politicians and
the movements they led. The differences do not, however, erase a
major similarity: they both attempted to introduce a
series of reforms objectionable to capital, without even thinking
about laying government hands on the major levers of capitalist
power. They tweaked the toes of a colossus, and got stomped.

Creegan, don't you know what evidence means? Everything you post here is bereft of historical or economic data. My guess is that you simply don't know enough about Nicaragua in the 80s to contribute something substantial to the debate. I was the president of a technical aid project to Nicaragua and was forced by circumstance to understand the nation's difficulties. I and other Tecnica board members used to meet regularly with Paul Oquist, Daniel Ortega's chief economic adviser. Your understanding of Nicaragua is lifted out of the Spartacist League newspaper. "Laying government hands" sounds like something out of a Jimmy Swaggart sermon, not an analysis from someone grounded in historical materialism.

My analysis of the rise and fall of the Sandinista revolution is here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/state_and_revolution/nicaragua.htm

I invite Creegan to write his own analysis but doubt that he is capable of writing anything except glittering generalities.