#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This article is interesting. Ira Schor has written a lot about teaching
students such as those described here. Critical Teaching and Everyday Life is a
good introduction. When I taught, at a college in Johnstown, PA, where at least
for a decade or so, most of my students were not all that different from
community college students. I was struck by how little most teachers knew about
teaching and how little effort they put in to learning how to teach. Shocking
incompetence was the rule. But what I also learned was how poorly those
students majoring in education performed and how bad their teachers were. We
all are opposed to the attacks on public school teachers and their unions. But
we are loathe to see or admit how dreadful many of our kids' teachers are. Most
of us start life curious and intelligent. Something seems to happen along the
way, though.