#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

(You'll note the reference to the title of the new Stephen Hawking biopic. What the biopic lacks is exactly the intellectual substance of this fascinating article that actually makes string theory understandable.)

I began learning the mathematical underpinnings of string theory during an intense period in the spring and summer of 1985. I wasn’t alone. Graduate students and seasoned faculty alike got swept up in the potential of string theory to be what some were calling the “final theory” or the “theory of everything.” In crowded seminar rooms and flyby corridor conversations, physicists anticipated the crowning of a new order.

full: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/string-theory-about-unravel-180953637/