#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

It's nice to read Richard Seymour's post but also distressing to see the
kind of garbage that is posted in response both by "leftists" like Shane
and the commentators on the website itself.

It's not new to see leftists dismissing the scourge of Islamophobia, or
even having difficulty understanding what it is, as though the campaign
(crusade?) against Islam in France and in some parts of the United States
is anything but a racialized campaign to scapegoat migrants or drum up war
propaganda. It is the counter to the campaign by many on the right (and too
many on the left) to find "anti-Semitism" wherever Israel's barbarism is
rightfully singled out, or whenever the larger issue of Jewish integration
into the West (and Muslim, African, and other exclusion) is brought up.

With all the barrage of sentiments about "protecting freedom of speech,"
it's a wonder nobody has brought up the fact that Muslims in France are
barred from wearing certain types of clothing on exclusively "cultural"
grounds, that they are targeted mercilessly by police, that "hate speech
laws" are used to target their community rather than to protect it, and
perhaps most embarrassingly that the French government had the gall to
threaten jail sentences against anyone who dared protest this summer's Gaza
massacre of Muslims. Note also how in Norway, few saw the right-wing terror
attack on student democracy activists at a political summer camp by Anders
Breivik (originally blamed on "the Muslims") as an attack on freedom of
speech, but instead reduced it to the attitude of a crazy person -- as
though his ideas were anything but the result of far-right anti-Muslim
activism that one would think threatens the freedom of Muslims, immigrants,
left-wing activists, political freedom, etc.

"Freedom of speech," like "terrorism," is not an objective term despite
attempts by theorists to come up with objective definitions. Culturally and
legally, both terms are used by the dominant classes to frame that which is
worth protecting and that which is threatening.

And no, I am not criticizing the sympathy with the journalists killed, I
think it goes without saying that what was done was atrocious and deserves
condemnation from all quarters. I am criticizing the narrative.

- Amith

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Shane Mage via Marxism <