#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

So, we see below that SYRIZA, in order to gain an absolute majority in the
Greek Parliament, allied with the far right Independent Greeks party, ANEL,
and, for some as yet unknown reason, chose to select Panos Kamenos, ANELs’
leading member, as the cabinet member in charge of the Greek military.

JA writes below “He will have no problem to deal with and be personally
accepted by the army officers, including the many golden dawnites among them.”

For those unfamiliar with Golden Dawn, this is from Wikipedia:

“Scholars and media have described it as neo-Nazi and fascist, though the group
rejects these labels.  Members have expressed admiration of the former Greek
dictator Ioannis Metaxas of the 4th of August Regime (1936–1941).  They have
also made use of Nazi symbolism, and have praised figures of Nazi Germany in
the past.  According to academic sources, the group is racist and xenophobic,
while the party’s leader has openly identified it as nationalist and racist.”

Further, JA writes below about the new Defense Minister chosen by SYRIZA to be
in charge of the Greek military:

“A hard core nationalist, with his own political vision: a kind of......
permanent Bonapartistic governance!!!”

For those unfamiliar with Bonapartism, this is from Dictionary.com:

“a political system resembling the rules of the Bonapartes, esp Napoleon I and
Napoleon III: centralized government by a military dictator, who enjoys popular
support given expression in plebiscites”

To sum up, SYRIZA has chosen as the cabinet members heading the Greek Army a
politician who “will have no problem to deal with and be personally accepted by
the army officers, including the many golden dawnites [neo-Nazis] among them.”

And who is for “centralized government by a military dictator.”

This choice by SYRIZA, as yet unexplained, brings to mind a ship captain whose
vessel was taking on water in a storm and in danger of sinking.

The captain ordered the crew to drill holes in the bottom of the ship to let
the water out.