#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Good for them.   It's still hardly justifies the statement about the
negotiating stance of American unions.

I joined my first union in 1966, and have been a member of one or another
almost continually. The one of which I am currently a member is very good
at defending members of the bargaining unit being victimized, but it has
been so ineffectual at negotiating contracts that we have lost ground since
1979, when it won recognition.  In my experience, unions generally strike
only when they're forced to it, and do almost anything and everything to
avoid it.

The data on union membership and the standards of living indicates that my
experience has been far more characteristic of union members than the
generalization to which I responded implied.

The point is that we do not condemn unions going into negotiations despite
the generally muddled and confused nature of the kind of trade unionism we
have in the U.S.  Certainly, this doesn't mean we are silent in the face of
misleadership and betrayal, but it seems reasonable to wait until the
evidence is there to be seen and appreciated.

As to preemptive dismissals of any mode of struggle, an analogy from the
predigital age used to say, a broken clock is always right twice a day.

ML