#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 04 Mar 2015, at 10:10 AM, A.R. G via Marxism <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu>
wrote:

> And on the flipside, what should I make of "leftists" like the
> Anti-Deutsch, or the AWL, or the US SWP, who have either engaged in overt,
> extremist support for Israel, Zionism, and its US lobby, or at the very
> least engaged in apologism by smearing critics who go "too far" as
> "anti-Semites" and the like? And their continued influence in "leftist"
> circles (including this one) in which there are people who are constantly
> walking on eggshells about anything that could possibly be perceived as
> "anti-Jewish"?

I’ve never had any affiliation with any of the groups mentioned, but I actually
think we *should* walk on eggshells when language is involved that plays even
unconsciously into anti-Semitic caricatures - but I believe this more for
tactical reasons than moral ones. That isn’t to deny for a moment that willful
anti-Semitism is repugnant, but even perfectly fair and desparately necessary
criticisms of the state of Israel, or of individual Zionists or Zionist
organisations, are constantly spun by Zionists as anti-Semitic - and I think we
should be absolutely vigilant in avoiding and distancing ourselves from
language that makes that easy for them to do, precisely in order to protect the
space for the enormous amount of criticism that needs to be made, as part of a
broader campaign of opposition and resistance. From our previous exchange, and
from your description of the piece you’re writing, my sense is that you may
disagree with my approach on this issue. I hope you’ll at least allow that it
may be a reasonable and considered one.